Torch heat treating equipment

websocket

Registered
Registered
I'm new to heat treating and tempering. Since MAPP is no longer available, are the carry tote setups good enough for heat treating small parts? What torch (oxy-propane/acetylene) equipment setup would you recommend?

Last edited:
I did not want to deal with AirGas and oxygen cylinders. I found a used oxygen concentrator on Craigslist for $125. I use that with Propane and a Smith little torch. This makes a hot 1" flame that is great for heat treatment and silver soldering.
Note that for O1 tool steel you can get away with just propane for most small parts.

I made a refractory chamber that allows red heating with plain propane. I was also motivated by the disappearance of real MAPP- the yellow bottle bernz-o-matic says mapp-pro or some such hogwash, it's propane-butane that doesn't nearly get as hot. Now that I'm in my permanent shop building, I can use oxy-acetylene whenever I feel like it, but the refractory still makes even heat fast.

I used a paint can and a mix of refractory mortar and vermiculite, cast around an aerosol can and a piece of tube to form the inlet. Borax for flux, of course.

PXL_20230203_193445141.jpgPXL_20230203_194755891.jpgPXL_20230203_194737293.jpg

For not actually welding? Just the occasional heat treat?
Harbor Freight to the rescue. The small bottle tote will last you years on a charge and is compact. Get refill bottles at the Tractor Supply.

I bought this little kit from Lowe's on sale for same general heating purpose a couple years ago for like $230. Easy to get the bottles locally. Works good with items sitting on top of some fire brick, or using the fire brick as shield behind the item.

The Lincoln actually uses Harris tips, so was easy to find some smaller tips on the web.

I bought this little kit from Lowe's on sale for same general heating purpose a couple years ago for like $230. Easy to get the bottles locally. Works good with items sitting on top of some fire brick, or using the fire brick as shield behind the item.

The Lincoln actually uses Harris tips, so was easy to find some smaller tips on the web.
It's $420 now. HF has the same thing for $350. They're both made in China. . . so. . .

Can you really get refill bottles of oxygen and acetylene at tractor supply? How much?

Around here I regularly see full oxyacetylene setups go for under $300. I bought one a few years back off Craigslist for less than $200 and have plenty of gas left. If I run out I might just buy another rig rather than refilling if the price is right.

I also have a small propane forge I bought for $100 with a full tank, and an electric kiln I got free from Craig’s.

John

Back