Topcraft's New 10d

Chuck,

I was a bit tired last night, and I misunderstood the question about the compound slide. It has the two vertical screws with half nuts to tighten them.

By "two vertical screws", do you mean two studs? And what do you mean by "half nuts"?

When you bought the later pintle type cross slide and upper compound swivel, did you get the compound slide with it? In either case, could you post the part numbers of the five or hopefully six parts? The newer parts that you bought should be 10-301, 10-302 and 9-303. I'm hoping that the original parts will be 9-301, 9-302 and 9-303. If you did get another compound slide, is there any difference between it and the original one?

OK. That's a relief. Editing PDF's to correct errors is a real PITA. Usually easy, but very time consuming.

One thing that's puzzling me tonight about parts and part numbers is the compound slide, upper compound swivel and lower compound swivel/cross slide. We have parts lists of one sort or another dating from 1933 +/- 1 all the way up to 1966. In all of these, the compound slide has part number 9-303. Yet we know that there were at least two different versions, one Zamak and one cast iron. And from photographs of each, including in catalogs or parts manuals, the top of the slide doesn't look the same.

more later.
Ok, the top one is 9-303 1, middle 302, and on the bottom, I could not find anything. will post the pics as soon as i can get to it, the two studs that lock things together have a square head that comes up thru the bottom, and are locked by the two half nuts. if you look close, you can see a flat of one of the locknuts on the sideview above. They used the halfnuts to clear the slide above I apologize for the lack of closeups, but I have been really busy lately.

Wow, that's in really remarkable condition for its age. It doesn't look like it's been repainted or had any botched repairs made to it. Nice lathe. Do you have the tailstock for it?
Thanks, it has been repainted tho. there is paint on the surface of the one and only plate on the lathe. It does appear to me that it was done quite awhile ago. and yes, I do have the tailstock. I am going to be tearing it down soon, as I would like to inspect it more closely, tighten everything, and quiet it down a bit, before I start using it. I also have a variable speed drive motor that i want to drive the carriage lead screw. It just wont go slow enough for my tastes the way it works thru the change gear. I want to run it from the change gear side so I get both directions of feed. Right now, I am thinking on how I want to do it without altering any of the existing parts. I believe I will fabricate a new change gear cover that will contain the motor and controls. Either that,or put it on the tailstock side and figure out how I can electrically reverse the motor at will. That will require a longer lead screw or a coupling to the existing one. Haven't decided yet.

Ok, the top one is 9-303 1, middle 302, and on the bottom, I could not find anything. will post the pics as soon as i can get to it, the two studs that lock things together have a square head that comes up thru the bottom, and are locked by the two half nuts. if you look close, you can see a flat of one of the locknuts on the sideview above. They used the halfnuts to clear the slide above I apologize for the lack of closeups, but I have been really busy lately.
Is the middle one (with the radiused slots for the square-headed studs) 9-302 or 10-302?

[/QUOTE]

I also have a variable speed drive motor that i want to drive the carriage lead screw. It just wont go slow enough for my tastes the way it works thru the change gear. .

You can also add additional gears to the banjo to change speeds. If you put in a compound gear with a 2 to 1 ratio i.e. A 16/32 or 20/40 it will slow it down in half and still easy to do threading by dividing the tpi by 2.

Thanks. That clears up a few things. And we even know the 10" serial number (3970) of the change from 9-302 to 10-302. I'm sure that you will find that the number on the bottom side of the cross slide is 9-301.

That Dayco 5440 isn't the right belt for his lathe. it is only .44" not 1/2", notice how low it is ridding in the pulley. So the length witch is 44" wouldn't be right ether.

Back