Tools for a beginner

Camnefdt

Registered
Registered
Hi all

I recently got my very first lathe and am starting to look at buying some tooling for it.

I am looking more towards insert tool holders mostly because I dont have and cant get a bench grinder to make my own cutting tools currently.

Is there any way to grind or shape hss tools by hand?

And will insert tool holder type tooling be fine for an absolute beginner?

I would not want to try shaping HSS without a grinder. A file will skip off the metal. In the US small grinding wheels are available for hand held rotary tools such as a Dremel (brand name). I use such a tool with small cut off disc to cut a piece of HSS into two. I could imagine some of my Dremel small diamond grinding wheels working to shape a piece of HSS. I am not sure how well I would go getting consistent angles.

I do not know what tooling is readily available in South Africa. Carbide insert tooling works well. I have a number of such tools and different inserts. Some for normal machining and some for threading. The inserts may be more expensive in South Africa.

In the US a less expensive option is brazed carbide tools. A piece of carbide is brazed onto a piece of steel. The downside is that the tool is either discarded when dull, or you need special wheels for a grinder to sharpen.

I would not want to try shaping HSS without a grinder. A file will skip off the metal. In the US small grinding wheels are available for hand held rotary tools such as a Dremel (brand name). I use such a tool with small cut off disc to cut a piece of HSS into two. I could imagine some of my Dremel small diamond grinding wheels working to shape a piece of HSS. I am not sure how well I would go getting consistent angles.

I do not know what tooling is readily available in South Africa. Carbide insert tooling works well. I have a number of such tools and different inserts. Some for normal machining and some for threading. The inserts may be more expensive in South Africa.

In the US a less expensive option is brazed carbide tools. A piece of carbide is brazed onto a piece of steel. The downside is that the tool is either discarded when dull, or you need special wheels for a grinder to sharpen.

I dont mind paying for something that will work best. I can get a dremel but as you say, angle accuracy would be a problem.

I know diamond files can cut into hss but can imagine trying to shape a cutting tool that way. Would take ages haha. Might just go that route along with carbide inserts.

I hate those carbide brazed bits!! Price paid for them is worth just getting the insert tools.

Also was lookinv at some holders off of banggood which don't LOOK too bad. Not really worried aboht the inserts but more the holders themselves. Does anybody have any knowledge on the quality of these Chinese import holders?

Insert tooling works. If nothing else, it gets you started and learning. On small machines, like mini-lathes, I would recommend HSS, but inserts still work if that's what you can get. One thing to note with inserts is that they don't like taking small cuts. How small depends a lot on the particular insert, but 5 thous is probably a good minimum to start with. With some practice, you will learn what they like. Spend some time experimenting with speeds/feeds, and depth of cut, then test with a micrometer to verify. You can dial in whatever, but if the tool deflects the work you won't cut that half thou you dialed in.

If you have steel square tubing available locally, building a belt grinder might be an option. Though sourcing belts might be tricky. Small grinding wheels and attachments for a Dremmel will work, but they would be pretty slow and heat the tool steel a lot.

I have import holders and they work fine, including some from Banggood along with some of their inserts. I suspect they will chip and dull faster than a good name brand would, but for hobby work that's not a big issue. I use HSS almost all the time now just because I prefer the way it cuts on my lathe.

Hi all
I am looking more towards insert tool holders mostly because I dont have and cant get a bench grinder to make my own cutting tools currently.

Hoe come you can't get a grinder? A 6" grinder, with new wheels would be cheaper than a set of insert tool holders.

Hoe come you can't get a grinder? A 6" grinder, with new wheels would be cheaper than a set of insert tool holders.
I live in a complex in a small 1 bedroom place. No garage. Lathe currently lives in my lounge and don't think it would be wise trying to opperate a bench grinder in my lounge haha. The layhe alone is pushing it haha

And also, I can get the tool holders shipped with inserts less than half of what the cheapest smallest little bench grinder is here by me

On a small lite lathe I would get the sharpest inserts available and a diamond lap to keep them sharp
“. “ hss would be best.

On a small lite lathe I would get the sharpest inserts available and a diamond lap to keep them sharp
“. “ hss would be best.
I would ideally get hss, custom tooling is a big plus!! But as I say, bench grinder is out of the question.

Just checking how user friendly the inserts are for a complete novice to lathe work.

I plan on getting a diamond lap either way to keep tips and edges maintained! Nothing worse than trying to cut with a damaged or blunt tip.

Been watching alot of Mr tom Lipton of oxtoolco on youtube listening to some of his advice and suggestions haha also just looking in aww at his work!

Back