Toolpost Grinder Vs. Spin Fixture

A lathe likes to make round things, but does not like grinding swarf. A surface grinder likes to make flat things but can handle grinding swarf. Both have their good and bad, Hmmm? And both are not really specifically made for the task. I guess I would go with the lathe, but would have many concerns about it. Before going that route through, maybe take a very close look at buying them first…Dave.

OK, I was wrong about the prices. $4.83 each.

As my Italian buddies would say.."It's not to worry." Actual cost is going to vary by who you buy from, what level discounts you get and if you have to pay taxes. I just grabbed numbers from a single source and a specific brand. 3$ each is close enough for a fast budget analysis. :)

Good Luck

Maybe instead of assuming failure on others' behalf you should offer some of your advise. You've made it very clear you work in a machine shop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you going to leave a large shaft at one end? I'm imagining trying to locate 1mm part in a 4 jaw :)

Stuart

Yes, the large ends on all pins will be turned to 3/8" nominal diameter and number stamped on the large end for identification.

Maybe instead of assuming failure on others' behalf you should offer some of your advise. You've made it very clear you work in a machine shop.

I'm pretty well known in other circles for making stuff that makes no sense to others because I could purchase said items from someone else (just because I can). The difference here is the OP is talking about holding tolerances (ZZ) that are just about impossible with home shop equipment. I said "just about" because I know it can be done but not consistently or repeatedly. It would be a lot of work with little reward.

OK, here's the reality of the situation. Sure you can try and figure out how to turn a diameter on a piece of wire to rough it down to .050" x 2" long, then heat treat it to RC60 without warping and then OD grind it to a consistent .03975 while maintaining an 8 micron surface finish for the entire 2" length. You're going to do this with some kind of spin fixture on old equipment with questionable bearings (what most of us actually have at home) in both the spin fixture and grinder (not even a dedicated centerless grinder). Holding tenths requires not only good equipment but also climate control. Generally speaking steel grows .0001 for every 5 degrees of temperature change. You can't even efficiently measure a diameter to tenths until the item has stabilized (soaked) in the environment for 24 hours. Sure it can be done. Will it ever be ZZ class $5 pin?

Part of helping people involves dropping the occasional reality check too.

I'm not saying he's not being real, but the discouragement doesn't help any.

My grinder bearings are in very good condition, and I can borrow a spin fixture to grind them on. This will be more of an exercise in grinding and measuring than efficiency. ZZ is the lowest tolerance for these gages, and I don't have to hit it either, but I want to! :)

That is what a hobby is,it is only time to spend.
Call it what one finds appropriate (education,waste,exercise in futility,whatever) if it brings a smile priceless.

I was not assuming failure merely offering encouragement, this is what the sentiment Good Luck means.
As in Good Luck in the bowling tournament, job interview, bingo game or weekly poker game amongst friends.

Relax

Back