Toolmakers Oven Help

Plas-
Im getting a 404 error- my search engine has Auberins dot com as well- I will try again later- but FYI the site is down. I can look at the HOME PAGE in cached view form- but no links work.

Kerri

Great looking little heat treating oven. Curious what you propose to heat treat in it? I've been thinking about an oven about that size or a bit larger for some tools I would like to make and for knife making.

Bob

First project is to case harden the adjustable wedge for the rear tool post cut off for my Gisholt turret lathe. Then to make some 123 blocks out of the O1 I've been tripping over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The prior owner had tried to re wire her.
She was a cob web of wires, said he could only get her up to around 500degrees.
My stepfather builds experimental high tech furnaces for organizations we are not supposed to know about.
He noodled through it, and got her up to 2000degrees. Much hotter than I need. Evidently one of the elements is not working.
Thanks to all of you we have a manufacture!
I'll play with her some, and think about if I should replace the TC and the element.

Thank you,
Daryl
MN

Daryl- Please let us know what type of wire/element you wind up using- Im interested in restoring one similar that is in my "to do" pile as well- Like the find!

Kerri

I'd guess that the TC is supposed to be attached to the part that you are placing within the oven. At least that is what we would do for thermal cycling a device under test in the aerospace world. That way you know the temperature on the actual part, which will be slower to respond to change than the air within the oven.

At work we would put a piece of kapton tape on the part and then attach the TC to the kapton tape with more kapton tape. But again this was for aerospace. We did not test above about 300 degrees C.

That's interesting!
Perhaps this TC was spec'd to get to the center of the oven.
Kapton tape is good to 500degrees. Or at least the manufacture I looked at goes to 500.

I think I'll try her as she stands and replace pieces parts as needed.

Daryl
MN

I'd guess that the TC is supposed to be attached to the part that you are placing within the oven. At least that is what we would do for thermal cycling a device under test in the aerospace world. That way you know the temperature on the actual part, which will be slower to respond to change than the air within the oven.

At work we would put a piece of kapton tape on the part and then attach the TC to the kapton tape with more kapton tape. But again this was for aerospace. We did not test above about 300 degrees C.

Part contact is probably better than sensing the "atmosphere" of the oven. I used to use thermocouples to sense glass temp when auto-processing neon sign tubes. Contact will monitor the response to the air (or other atmosphere gas) temp better.

You can set it up for both methods. Contact and internal atmosphere just get some quick disconects. Leave the atmosphere always installed and plug in your contact one when you prefer it. The quick connect make for quick repairs.

Both methods work fine. It really comes down to speed and if time at temp is important. With air control you just give the part equilibrium time. If a part needs 500 for 10 minutes then contact is best.

Back