Tooling Up For Aluminum Projects

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Good morning guys,well I am getting ready to close the book on my 13"Colchester Lathe restoration project with one more post and some pics over on that thread.Question for myself is "Did I do it right" I feel that I did and it looks like I did but will it preform like it should is a question that remains to be answer.To get that question answered I need to put it to use,but first I need to purchase some tooling for a 13" lathe.Guys I call myself a woodworker but I have more woodworking machines restorations under my belt than I do woodworking projects.Which is what directed me to this forum and got me started into metal turning.I have a few older Delta/Rockwell/Milwaukee bandsaws that I want to take off the after market plastic knobs and make some knobs out of aluminum.Maybe check into getting them anodized.My plans is to also make some other knobs and parts also out of aluminum.Since I am a newbie,I am just finding out that there are inserts for aluminum,steel,stainless steel,etc.Grinding HSS is on my to do list but not at this moment.So I just want to concentrate on what inserts I need(good,better,best) and on tool holders for the inserts for just basic lathe operations.Which I think I need the 5/8 shanks for by BXA tool post.I would also like to ask about the proper insert and holder with a 1/2 shank that will work on my ball turner that will be best for those dome shape knobs.If you could share what you have learned over the yrs on the correct inserts,tool insert holders for working aluminum for turning OD's,facing,and profiling those domes.If you could provide a link maybe to those inserts and holders that you like would be great either to their website or ebay.Thanks guys for direction----kroll

Back