Tooling Plate

dlane

Active User
Registered
came across this 1-1/2 X 22x22" aluminum cnc tooling plate , thinking of cutting it up to make other things out of, it's a little thick . What would you do with it ?.
Thanks

image.jpeg

I would store it along with all my aluminum pieces and wait for the time it's use is needed for a project---you can then cut it up if needed ---I have many bigger pieces of aluminum waiting for the right project---if I never use them then my wife can always get quick money by selling them for scrap---I'm sure I already have at least near 1,000 lbs or more saved so far----Dave

As soon as you cut it up, a project will come along where you will say "It sure would be nice if I had a 2'x2' square of alumi...dang it!"

Some thirty years ago, I acquired two pieces of 2/4 x 16 x 26" tooling plate. I still have one full piece and a third of the second. I guard it jealously but I'm not afraid to use it for projects. The same with some larger pieces of 1/2" and 3/8" plate. Larger pieces can be quite expensive when purchased new and tit's nice to have a "local" supply when a project comes up.

Is it cast and ground which is often called "jig plate", also known by the Alcoa brand name MIC6?

If so it is not the best choice for producing load bearing machined aluminum parts, this is not it's intended purpose.
Being cast it machines very easily, we normally use a spray bottle with water and a small amount of dish soap as lube otherwise it will glue itself to an endmill.
It's advantages are stability and as bought has already been ground on both sides so it is rather flat and will remain so.

Last week I tossed in the scrap a 12' length of 3/8 thick" x 6" wide 6061 T6 aluminum bar stock, it was not even remotely flat and the parts made from it would never measure in. Fortunately there were 5 more of these in the stock rack that were flat enough for the job at hand.

The point being that a product that is intended for a particular use (in this case aluminum tooling plate) and has been manufactured as such is far superior to a product that has not been post processed, grinding and other methods included.

I'm with Wreck, it's better suited for tooling than projects. I could see a universal tooling plate with tapped holes every 2 square inches and several sets of keys to correspond with a mill table. The next time you have a project that can't be held in a vise, it gives you many more options. I have a 1" tooling plate on my cnc mill which gives me 5 positions for a vise, and numerous others for specific fixtures. The plate is a permanent thing and most of the fixtures are doweled to the plate for quicker set ups.

I'd probably use it as a fixture plate for my rotary table for machining large diameter circles.

Yupp I'd make a couple of jig plates with a few different sized tapped holes. Then even make some clamps just for the plate ,a couple blocks to mount with hardened drill bushings for repeat jobs . Fixture plates. Then guard what's left for that super needed item but no funds to devote. ( my problem ) !?large pieces are hard to come by in any material.

Back