Tooling for a new BP Series 1 owner

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I recently acquired a BP Series 1, variable speed head. I have never owned a milling machine. For general machinery, what should be included in a "starter kit" of sorts for tooling? I have a 6" vice for it, and that's pretty much about it, aside from the tooling and metrology gear I have for my lathe.

You're asking us "How to spend your money?"

Does it have collets, or use patented tool holders and do you have them?

Well you'll need a few R-8 collets and some endmills, a flycutter (which you can make), perhaps a tramming device (which you can also make),
and a bunch of metal to rip thru! :)
A DRO is almost mandatory these days. A dividing head if you want to make gears. How much you wanna spend? LOL
-Mark

The most important thing is a set of parallels.
From there would be a 13pc collet set.
An edge finder.
You probably have a good set of drills, with both number and letter sets.
A set of end mills. A 3/16 - 3/4" set would get you started.
A 2" boring head with 1/2" boring bars.
That is just to get started.
How much do you have to spend?
Everyone's budget is different, and that makes a bid difference.

All the stuff mentioned above.

For the most part, you will only need certain size R8 collets, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 & 3/4.

A quality drill chuck, keyless is nice but a keyed chuck is almost essential for power tapping. I like mine with a straight shank (rather than R8) which I shorten to about 1/2 the standard length. Cranking the knee up and down for tool changes gets old.

Indicol or some other means for holding an indicator to tram the head and indicate the vise.

Endmills and drills and taps, oh my!

The things I use most frequently:

1- R8 collets - I hardly ever use tool holders
2- drill chuck - I prefer a 1/2" short shank that is used with a collet
3- a set of parallels
4- end mills
5- fly cutters, various sizes

I could go on and on, but these are the "essentials". Bare minimum and most frequently used in my home hobby shop.

You do need a way to hold an indicator to tram the head, but you can hold a pin in a R8 collet and clamp onto that without the need for some type of "tramming" device, which I own but never use by the way....

An edge finder would be next on that list, but you can use the end mills with a slip of paper, dowel pin, or other means of doing the same thing.

Check out Craig's List and Facebook Market place daily and look for package deals. This is how I built up my tool box!

Ted

Thanks for the replies. I have a hold down kit, parallels and indicators already.

I'm going to order a 13 piece set of collets with the bracket that mounts to the side of the mill. And I think I found a drill chuck with an integrated R8 shank that I like.

I'll be on the hunt for a set of end mills next. But there are so many options between HSS and carbide, there are 2 flute and 4 flute, roughing, etc. It doesn't make sense to get one of each - especially for a home hobby shop. I'm not making parts for the Dragon crew capsule, so what would be the go-to for general machining?

I'm also looking to get a complete set of drill bits, including letter and numbered bits. What's the difference between a JOBBER bit and just an ordinary drill bit?

Back