Toolbox liner suggestions

sundown57

Registered
Registered
Im sure you can tell by the picture I MIGHT be a machinist with OCD ( not the best combination). Anyway, I picked up a toolbox that is 26x40 inches. I have 3 draws of tool bits but can't find anything to stop them from sliding. Went to Wallyworld and bought a cabinet liner. that didn't work and super expensive. Tried a bath mat, not much better, Best thing so far is I used dollar tree foam board and tore the paper off one side. That does help some but not much. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0541.jpg
    IMG_0541.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 49
I’ve been using this stuff from Amazon and it’s got enough vision that tools sink in a bit and don’t move around:

Worried about neatness or damaging the cutting edges ? If the latter , just dip the edges in wax or the plasti dip they sell and let 'em roll . :)

not worried about the edges, just like having them set so when I open the draw I can see how they are ground and select the right one for that job. but after shutting the draw 3 or 4 times they end up all bunched up at the back.

Shallow plastic trays would hold them in their place . They tend to bunch up otherwise because they they breed and multiply at night . At least that's my theory . ;)

Yes , they do , and I do have Vidmars . HF sells the same things for less than $5 . Not that I encourage buying anything from HF , but hey , alls they do is sit in a tool box . :)

Shallow plastic trays would hold them in their place . They tend to bunch up otherwise because they they breed and multiply at night . At least that's my theory . ;)

I’ve printed a bunch of trays:
cbdf9ff3cf321ac4f257854a9fb23b47.jpg

ee8ade5404917920aa4273c4090003b0.jpg

@sundown57 - For an inexpensive solution I used 1/8" foam yoga mat. I bought a massive roll that is about 24" wide and many many feet long. I installed this in my roll cab years ago works great. I still have half the roll left which should easily be enough for a 42" wide top and bottom cab. I saw you're from MA; you're welcome to what I have left if you want it.

A heavier-duty option is this ribbed rubber mat that I use on top of my tool cabinets and benches. It sells in 3'x5' mats at Koopman Lumber in my area (I'll try to find a part number). It is really nice for bench tops where you're handling finished materials or tools/tooling. A bit more expensive but would certainly work as a drawer liner and more durable than the yoga mat.

I certainly agree that dividers, kaizen foam, etc...are awesome too; each has its place.

The foam yoga mat liner:
YogaFoamDrawerLiner.jpg

Ribbed rubber floor mat:
RubberFloorMat.jpg

Last edited:
Back