Tool Storage

neshkoro

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Not quite a machining question but.........
Most of us buy hand tools that come in those nice molded plastic cases like your cordless drills, etc.
I also do a lot of woodworking so I have routers and saws.
Do you keep the case or discard it?
I'm trying to reorganize my shop and those things take up so much room. I can't decide to keep the tools in the case or throw the case away.
What do you guys do?

Thanks,

Bill

I discard or repurpose the cases for tools I use a lot. Some of the others are kept so I can keep all of the tool parts and accessories together.

I keep the cases and try to make more room for them. Shelving works well. Same with smaller boxes for machine tools. Just get more tool boxes to store them in! Then a bigger shop to fit it all in!

Most of my tooling goes into drawers , cabinets, tool boxs , due to dust problems .
Then it takes a while to remember where things are at.
I useualy leave things in there cases when possible and put them on shelves in a cabinet.

some items go stay with the case, while others, the case either gets repurposed or gotten rid of. Then when the case starts to come apart, then patch or trash. Often depends on what it is. Some I even make cases, etc for to protect them. Metal cases, most stuff stays with that case unless it breaks then I use the case for something else.

I hate the case's that take ages to repack, i love the ones with removable insers and good hinges :)

Stuart

If there are accessories with the tool I keep it in the case on a shelf. If it is by itself then I discard the case or re-purpose it, depending on type of case. The ones I keep in a case are marked for ease of identification on shelf.

Same as the others, portability plays a part in the decision. I like the idea of labeling but so far don't have any really identical boxes.
Have a good day
Ray

I am a bit of a pack rat. I tend to keep the original packaging. That way when I am done with it and sell it on ebay or craiglist I can give the new owner everything that came with the tool.

Tools I use often go on a shelf or drawer. Tools that I use occasionally tend to stay in the molded case it came in on a shelf somewhere.

I try to avoid clutter by putting tools I do not use often on a distant shelf. Keeps the work area a bit more tidy. Also much easier to keep all the bits of the tool in one place. It is a drag when you go to use the once a year tool and cannot find the custom collet wrench.

Thanks for the feedback. Seems some keep some discard. I think I will store the cases in the garage just to save room on the shop.
Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back