Tool post rocker Craftsman 109 lathe

aoresteen

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The tool post (lantern style ) that came with my 109.0702 is missing the "rocker" that the HSS tool sits on. Anyone know the size I need and a source?

I have a QCTH but I also have a bunch of HSS tools I would like to use with the original tool post.

Thanks!

Tony

Tool bits do not sit on the rocker.
You need an Armstrong type tool holder.

It's possible you could fasten a HSS tool into the lantern without an Armstrong-type holder, but what you may find is that the tool sits too low.
So, since you don't have the original rocker you may as well make a custom one that's thicker, and places the cutting edge at the workpiece centerline
-M

It would be cheaper to just buy a quick change tool post ,than to buy a lantern post and Armstrong tool holders. The only thing you would miss is the back rack that is built into the Armstrong tool holders. That can be ground into the tool bit.

I don't know of a source but I have a 109 with a lantern style tool post, I can check the size of the rocker bit when I get home in a few days.

I use the Armstrong style tool holder but resting either directly on the tool post ring or on a shim. It is more rigid
and you get the benefit of the angles built into the tool holder. You can set the tool in the holder at the minimum
protrusion possible then make up a shim to bring it to center. As long as you have other tool holders within the same
series, the shim will be the same or you can adjust the protrusion to get a consistent tool height. Works fine and any
compliance is less than the rest of the cross slide/compound.

Thanks All. Here is a photo of the 109 tool post::

109 tool post.jpg

It is composed of 4 parts:

109.20630 Part #s:

1. SP-748 1/4-20 x 1 1/4" Sq. Hd Set Screw, Semi-Dog Pt.
2. A-261 Tool Post
3. A-263 Tool Post Wedge
4. A-3451 Tool Post Collar

109.21270 Part #s:

1. SP-749 1/4-20 x 1-1/4" Full Dog Pt. Sq. Hd. Ser Sc.
2. A-261 Tool Post
3. A-263 Tool Post Wedge
4. A-3451 Tool Post Collar

Note that the photo shows the tool post out of the compound; when mounted in the compound the tool would move up about 3/8".

I need (what I called "rocker") what is called part A-263 Tool Post Wedge in the parts listing above.

Craftsman 109 tool post.jpg

As I mentioned in my post I have a Quick Change Tool Holder ("I have a QCTH..."). I'd like to get my original tool post working.

If some has a spare wedge or a complete tool post please PM me.

Thanks!

I think I have a few down the basement if I haven't given them away . What size holders does it take ?

Back