Tool Post Grinder - Extreme DIY?

You might want to consider a flexible shaft grinder like this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/flexible-shaft-grinder-and-carver-40432.html
so that you can mount the end of the shaft in a toolpost holder, rather then trying to clamp a whole grinder rigidly.
Dremel also make a flexible shaft attachment to fit their grinders if you want a smaller version.

View attachment 42839

M

View attachment 42839

I replaced the ground by hand bearings in mine with some natchi Japan bearings. Made a big difference in the runout, sound and feel.
Roy

For this very reason I buy import lathes. I believe a machine should be used in every way you possibly can. I grind, cut, polish, and anything you can think of on my lathe and guess what? While taking standard precautions in keeping my machines clean twice a week however I really don’t care if it shortens the life because I need the features and when it wears out I will either replace the parts or go out and buy another lathe. I expect 3-5 years before I wear a machine down and will have made a small fortune from that machine. For those who have prestine looking machines in your basement that you use twice a year (perhaps weekends) and your floors look clean and polished, your machine like it’s brand new, you probably want to reconsider any inconventional use. Heck.., reconsider using the machine at all, lol. A $5,000 lathe is peanuts if it returns $500,000 in revenue and is versatile enough to complete projects timely. Versatility is far more important than longevity. Oops I have a scratch on my ways :).

We appreciate having the perspective of professional machinists here, but you have to keep in mind, please, that we have a lot of guys on here, myself included, that are hobby guys, and don't consider their machines as an investment. We respect the uses of these machines by everyone, whether they be hobbyists or professionals on this forum.

I replaced the ground by hand bearings in mine with some natchi Japan bearings. Made a big difference in the runout, sound and feel.
Roy

Would you post a link to the specs and where to buy the exact bearings that fit? Would be nice to have easy access to the upgrade.

I've had moderate success using a die grinder as a TPG, clamped in a hardwood block in the tool post. You will need a diamond point to true the wheel. But, I am very reluctant to grind on the lathe because of how hard it is to clean up adequately.

If planning to use a TPG then it's well worth the effort to set up a hood over the work area and connect it to your shop vac, Also tape some industrial paper towel over the crosslide and bed, will go long way to help reduce the cleanup, and amount of grinder dust getting into where you don't want it.

We did this on one ship I worked on because we had a need to do quite a bit of grinding on the lathe, and we didn't want to wreck it.

Last edited:
I made a holder for my Foredom that I put in my AXA tool holder. When using it as a TPG, or when turning cast, I have a couple of large sheets of silicone coated baking liners that get put over ways etc. (Wife got a nice roll of it from somewhere, I took most of it.) also used some on the Mill to go over the ways on it. Suck up most then take to the sheets to the trash and dump, then wash off. Ready for another go. Tried the shop towels but did not seem to work as well.

I made a holder for my Foredom that I put in my AXA tool holder. When using it as a TPG, or when turning cast, I have a couple of large sheets of silicone coated baking liners that get put over ways etc. (Wife got a nice roll of it from somewhere, I took most of it.) also used some on the Mill to go over the ways on it. Suck up most then take to the sheets to the trash and dump, then wash off. Ready for another go. Tried the shop towels but did not seem to work as well.

Yes very usefull stuff, from experience I think the shop vac connected to a hood over and under the gringing zone is the most important, and if done correctly there should be no dust anywhere.

If and when I set up a TPG on my lathe the shop vac set is what I'll do. I know it works.

Back