Tool post and center height issues...

This style of holder would solve the problem without having to modify anything.
https://www.eccentricengineering.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid

Stephen, Toz is right. The "Diamond" tool is quite nice. I have one, I really like it - and use it about 10% of the time. You may get one, it would help to get you started, but you'll still need to sort out good ways to hold a decent range of different types of tooling. Here on HM, we certainly understand that you may not be in a position to purchase a new QCTP. A 4 way is a good tool post (I used mine for about 25 years before changing over to a QCPT). If funds are to open up for you in not too long, you could do little work arounds with what you have - then purchase a solution that involves few changes.

OK... I took apart this Sheldon 10", moved it into the basement...

And... all of the cutting edges sit higher than the center of the work!?

Congrats on completing the move! I've got my little lathe in boxes still, from
shipping it to the new place a couple years back.

Yeah, looks like the thickness of the tool plus the holder gives you a high landing
with no shims. There's a way around this, though, by adding shims. The problematic thick
tool can be mounted upside-down, which makes the edge too LOW, and a washer between
the block and the compound will shift it back UP. Ugly, but workable. The downside,
of course, is that you will have to reverse the lathe rotation to cut that way. The upside,
is that you can return the loaner toolpost unmodified.

The 'best' washer thickness is that which puts your lowest tool-in-holder edge just
below (by 0.1 inch or so) the centerline. Shim up from there.

A QCTP of the Aloris type (AXA, BXA...) is possibly in your future. Be prepared to spend
some three-figure amount for that, or grow adept at shimming.

The "Diamond" tool is quite nice. I have one, I really like it - and use it about 10% of the time. You may get one, it would help to get you started, but you'll still need to sort out good ways to hold a decent range of different types of tooling. A 4 way is a good tool post (I used mine for about 25 years before changing over to a QCPT).

I bought a LH and a RH Diamond tool holder to use in my QCTP. It is just so easy to keep tools sharp and it is my go-to holder. However it does not do everything so it is not used 100% of the time. It certainly would be more appreciated for a 4 way tool post than for a QCTP because it reduces/eliminates shimming to centre, something I grew quickly to dislike.

I don't know anyone who would give up their QCTP to go back to a 4 way. A QCTP just makes so much sense for a hobbyist. It might ultimately end up to be more expensive to use stop gap measures to avoid/retard buying a QCTP so mortgage the farm and shop for a QCTP.

Last edited:
Back