Tool post and center height issues...

Ststephen7

Registered
Registered
OK... I took apart this Sheldon 10", moved it into the basement (with help from Dave), got it cleaned up and painted, and put back together. This is my first actual tool, other than drill press/welders/plasma cutter/woodworking tools... first real tool.

The friend who helped me pick it up and get it to my house generously gave me a tool post he was not using (NOS). I was able to grind/sand the clamp part to fit my compound... great! I got some import indexable tools, one (HSS?) cutting tool was in the drawer, along with one (harbor freight?) cutting tool. At least some tooling so that I can play around and learn...

And... all of the cutting edges sit higher than the center of the work!? I'd say this tool post is too large for this lathe, however... I really cannot (yet) afford another, so...
it seems that my only options are find smaller cutting tools, or find a way to mill down the thickness of the base of this tool post, right? or is there something else that I'm missing?

Thanks,
Steve

IMG_3361.JPGIMG_2972.JPGIMG_3306.JPG

Steve,
Congratulations on your lathe. It certainly turned out nicely. Presumably you have the original toolpost as seen in the pic above? So you can use the lathe with that.
What is the height relationship between the "new" tool post deck height and the lathe center height? ie from the arrowed point in my pic to lathe centerline?
post.png

Cheers Phil

The turret looks to be too large as you stated. I can mill this down but not sure how much height range is in the handle.

I have a very similar turret tool holder which you can borrow from my Grizzly G9249. The bottom section is 0.55in high. This is the section 12bolts is asking about in your existing turret holder.

Is this going to work? I also need the dimensions of your compound slot. I will need to make a new nut. I do not expect your slot to be the same dimensions as the Grizzly.

Thinner HSS tools can be used but these will have more flexing under load which will impact finish.

Thinner HSS tools can be used but these will have more flexing under load which will impact finish.

That was my first thought to get it going.
Hard to tell in the picture but if those are 3/8 tools a 5/16 hss might work. If those are 1/2" tools and 3/8 would work great and you'd be set.

Thank you! I'll be back with the measurements and dimensions when I can...

as for the tool post that came with it...

IMG_3002.JPG
Just a giant insert holder, with a large part of the underside cut away...

as for the tool post that came with it...
Ahhh.... OK
Another option is to remove your compound (top) slide and make an adaptor. The compound is just another introduced error that can be easily removed, (but still simply replaced when required). I have done this on my lathe by machining a block to suit.
IMG_5220.jpg IMG_5226.jpg IMG_5227.jpg IMG_5272.jpg IMG_5276.jpg IMG_5281.jpg
Not sure how your compound attaches to your cross slide but you just work out what height you need to get your tools on center and cut to suit.
Ignore the 3 circumferential holes they were from before this lump was repurposed. It just uses a simple dovetail to clamp in position. This mod clamps the post securely to the cross slide and removes the (possible) movement of loose/worn gibs on your compound. It also gives you much more working room around the tailstock

Cheers Phil

This is an interesting option!

As for measurements:
The tool post base is about .75 thick
From the top of the compound to (about) the center is about 1.1 - 1.125...
After subtracting .75 for the current base, that leaves only 3/8 for tool size

The slot in the compound is (seemingly odd numbers if you ask me):
width of compound is about 3.125
Depth of slot about 11/16"
max width of slot about 1 11/32"
opening to top of compound about 7/8"
I did have to remove some metal from the part of the tool post that goes into that slot, getting it down to just below 7/8, so it could move into the slot.

Milling 1/4" off the bottom of the tool post base would give me plenty of play... even 1/8 to 3/16 would allow me to use the tooling I have (1/2" at the largest), right?

Hi Stephen, 12bolt knows of what he speaks. That measurement from the shelf on the 4 way post to the center would be very helpful. The solid block toolpost support would work very well - and you could probably make it with that makeshift large tool (which is hanging out way too far) and small tools in the 4 way. Robin B (of Youtube fame) has a high class conversion to his HLVH. Simply a good solid block like Phil (12bolt) would work very well.

There is nothing wrong with your consideration of skimming the bottom of the 4 way post. Since you have a lathe, 4 jaw chuck and a Frankentool - it would be quite easily done. Not a big deal, the post was free to you. Cut away. Perhaps you'll need a thicker washer - but with a lathe, you can make a nice pretty one.

I'm using a "Swiss style" QCTP on my smaller lathe and decided to get a larger tool post so that most tooling would be interchangeable with my larger lathe. I have to skim the bottom of most of the holders (about 0.07" and cut a small relief groove).

DSCF4150.JPG

DSCF4155.JPG

This is an interesting option!

As for measurements:
Milling 1/4" off the bottom of the tool post base would give me plenty of play... even 1/8 to 3/16 would allow me to use the tooling I have (1/2" at the largest), right?

One approach you can take is to be quite thoughtful about how much you take off, so that your shim material is easily managed. Don't go and take off some random amount - "to give plenty of room".

I trimmed my tool holders so that with a 3/4" tool, the holder sits right down on the top of the compound - I don't need to use the little adjusting screw at all.

In your case, you will have to use shims (packing) to bring the tool to center height. If you take just the right amount off the bottom of the 4 way, then your 1/2" tools will land right at center height. Of course for 3/8" or 1/4" tools, the shim calculation is quite easily done and shim material readily available.

DSCF4161.JPG

Back