Tool Holders Grizzly Series 200/ BXA?

CDCO has their toolholders on sale right now. Good time to stock up.

To answer your question bxa tool holders can come in different tool size openings 1&2 or sometimes XL. #1 would be for a 5/8 tool holder and below. A #2 would fit 3/4 tool holders and below same with XL‘s. All 200 series dovetails should be the same size.

I have a G4002 lathe with the Grizzly 200 toolpost. The all industrial 250-202-xl fit my toolpost just fine, as did the CDCO 250-201 & 202 tool holders I bought. I also made some tool holders for 1" thick tools from industry BXA dimensions I found on the web. Everything works/fits as expected. So yes, any BXA sized holder should fit your toolpost.
Thanks Grandpop. Do you know the difference between 201 and 202 BXA?

To answer your question bxa tool holders can come in different tool size openings 1&2 or sometimes XL. #1 would be for a 5/8 tool holder and below. A #2 would fit 3/4 tool holders and below same with XL‘s. All 200 series dovetails should be the same size.
Thanks for that info.

The 201 is flat bottomed and the 202 has a V groove for round tools. The “XL” will take a 3/4 tool.

+1 on Firstram reply. Some do not like the 202 style with the v, saying it weakens the lower support surface. I prefer them for my holders, as I often put boring bars, end mills, router bits, etc in the v, plus it easily accommodates any 1/2 or larger insert holder. I have about 6 201 type, and about 3-4x as many 202 type.

Only disadvantage to the 202 type is if you need to hold a very small tool bit; it tends to fall into the v. If I run into that, I just put a piece of 1/4 stock under the bit to close off the v.

Was a tool & die maker for 20 years before career change 25 years ago. Have lots of lathe time between those jobs and my hobby now. Never saw anyone bend, or break, that lower surface of tool holder - V or no V. Your mileage may vary.

I have a dozen 200 series holders from CDCO. They all work fine in my G4003G. I get the one's with the groove for boring bars. The groove never seems to do any harm when you don't need it.

Back