Tool Holder Hotel

As far as a rack to hold them, I did it the cheap and easy way. Ripped wooden dovetails and then when cutting them to length they were cut at a slight angle so tools would not slide off onto my head.

That's a very good idea! Cheap, simple, and versatile - hits enough marks that I may have to steal it :)

The guy I got my lathe from handed me a 2x2 sheet of plywood with a half-dozen metal hangers for CXA dovetails - basically aluminum versions of what greenail has in #17. They look simple enough to fabricate: mill a trench slot down opposing sizes, drill and tap for a SCS up top, dill through the face for mounting to a board. Don't want to buy a bunch of aluminum just for this, though.

Currently have all the BXAs in a tool cabinet drawer. and the CXAs just sitting on a shelf that tops the splashguard I built behind the lathe. No problems with them falling or getting knocked around, but would be nice to free up that shelf space.

I also use wood to hold my holders. I thought it would’ve better than wasting valuable chunks of aluminum and no chance of scratching surfaces. A delrin or plastic would be good just didn’t have at the time. Now finding out delrin is the same price as steel I’m gonna stick with wood.

Back