Tool Grinder ID

walterwoj

Registered
Registered
I just purchased this "Tool Grinder" today but have been unable to find a data tag or any info aside from the Hill Acme logo on the side. I also think it is missing at least one piece (tool holder?) So any info on it would be helpful.
8f68ee7b22d41891923bc8b816879f76.jpg
65073328ab3dd500b92ef5ece427d277.jpg
ffa561bd2d5ebc1a5370e71fbb3b9aea.jpg
99cd9676f83ec4aad9fc3d4e508af18b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

This ought to take you to the general history tab for the company. If you open the "publications reprints" tab from the same page there are some catalogues and other info there but nothing that I could see for a tool grinder. I didn't spend a lot of time though, you may find something. Apparently the company is still in business in Ontario although under a different umbrella organization now.

-f

Thank you, that was one of the first placed I looked (great resource!) but no dice. I figured this thing might be rare enough that I would need someone's memory to learn more, so here's hoping!

My guess is it is a home/shop made machine. Or an altered one because there are no castings and the welds look like I did them. But I’ve been wrong before.
Looks like it would be very useful though.

Chuck

It looks more like it is set up for sharpening chainsaws than it is for grinding tools. No provision for changing angle, the only feed is the downfeed and the dovetail, and the latter is only a shorty, probably for indexing the feed.

One of the things that makes a tool and cutter grinder what it is is the ability to move the work head and tool head independently in a six-axis fashion.

I have debated whether it was shop-made. The jury is still out. The Base of the sliding tool holder is cast as is the upper tool holder. Whether those are from something else I'm not sure. It has a horizontal and a vertical mounting point (with a locating pin) that I think would hold a tool holder that might rotate on the pin. If it is a tool grinder it's definitely not a 'universal' style but I thought it might be for lathe tooling only but that is just a guess from a guy who *hopes* to use it for making lathe tooling.

I have debated whether it was shop-made. The jury is still out. The Base of the sliding tool holder is cast as is the upper tool holder. Whether those are from something else I'm not sure. It has a horizontal and a vertical mounting point (with a locating pin) that I think would hold a tool holder that might rotate on the pin. If it is a tool grinder it's definitely not a 'universal' style but I thought it might be for lathe tooling only but that is just a guess from a guy who *hopes* to use it for making lathe tooling.
It looks like a perfectly good motor and grinding spindle, no reason you can't recombobulate it into a lathe tool grinder. Maybe with a Harold Hall rest?

It looks like a perfectly good motor and grinding spindle, no reason you can't recombobulate it into a lathe tool grinder. Maybe with a Harold Hall rest?
That rest looks a bit overcomplicated. I think I can tweak the rest\tool holder that's there to work. I still think it was intended for something similar. worst case I'll adapt one of these to the task:

71yvEWcT6vL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

What kind of wheel and hub does it have on it? The wheel looks narrow but I can’t tell from photo.
Like Pontiac428, I see potential.

Chuck

It's got a 32a60 6x1/4 surface grinder wheel on it the arbor is just threaded with plates on either side of the wheel to secure it. I think it could take any kind of wheel.
316853c1ecd301a410a064229ed79943.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Back