Tool grind fixture

Frankly, I watching with great anticipation. I don’t need a full size surface grinder. Sure, if I had a 1500 sf shop, I’d probably get a decent used one but I’m dealing with around a total of about 300 square feet between the two rooms of my shop. It’s really 200sf of 1/2 of a carport plus another room which is 7 x 20. The 7 x 20ft room really isn’t that much use for a shop machine.
Anyway, I’ve crammed in my major tools....lathes and mil plus a shaper which I really didn’t have room for but I saw it on Craigslist and the guy really wasn’t greedy at all. Paid 400.00 for it.
So...the only reason for my long above rant is that I’ve been working on adapting a shop made toolpost type grinder to the shaper. I figured that the shaper has the mass for the job....and other than the task of protecting grinding dust from shaper moving parts....if I can pull this off, it might be a valid project. Unfortunately....my first attempt just had too much vibration of the grinder so I’m working on adding a better designed support of the grinder shaft.
So...as I said in the first line....Watching with anticipation Frank. So far, I like your plan. The beauty of your project is I could fit this in the 7x20 room. FWIW....I was able to view your drawings using a downloaded DWG viewer app. It’s free on iPhone App Store

I know what you mean regarding room or floor space, my shop is a 9 X 15 shed. This is why I need a bench top grinder that has a small footprint ! It is needed for tool grinding along with making accurate tooling. Wish my shop was your size !

Maybe you should try and make a T&C grinder like this.

Maybe you should try and make a T&C grinder like this.
My needs are for more for a surface grinder than a tool grinder. Still, I will be able to grind lathe tooling with the fixtures I have in stock. However that tool grinder is a simple concept and has much merit in any shop ! Beautifully executed machine work !

Hi Frankly can you maybe PM me the drawings for the tool grind fixture? Great design looks like a user friendly device.

Hi Frankly can you maybe PM me the drawings for the tool grind fixture? Great design looks like a user friendly device.
The drawings are in AutoCad .dwg format, if you have a way to read them I’ll be glad to send the assembly drawing and you can extract necessary dim’s from that.

This is what I have done thus far, now looking for a motor and wheel so I can start on the mount for Z axis. Most of the materials are already in my shop, which were collected over the last 20 years. I have yet to get the side plates water jetted and will start in the X-members after I finish a job I have in house for a friend. Shouldn’t take more than a month to complete after I collect some way protectors and the motor along with a ball screw. Need only one ball screw for Y axis, already have Z axis ball screw. Will make lever action for X axis, about a 4x1 ratio motion. Observations by any of you folks will be appreciated !

Attachments

• 54BB2E8D-A570-4A2C-9EFB-B74F8BD33B37.jpeg
    54BB2E8D-A570-4A2C-9EFB-B74F8BD33B37.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 36
The drawings are in AutoCad .dwg format, if you have a way to read them I’ll be glad to send the assembly drawing and you can extract necessary dim’s from that.
Feel free to send have access to numerous CAD applications. One of them ought to work lol.

I know what you mean regarding room or floor space, my shop is a 9 X 15 shed. This is why I need a bench top grinder that has a small footprint ! It is needed for tool grinding along with making accurate tooling. Wish my shop was your size !
Don’t we all Frank. No matter our size of shop....it’s never big enough. When I was 21, I opened my auto repair shop in an old service station. 5000 sf brick building and yet... every evening when we’d lock up I’d spend a half hour cramming the cars inside to lock up. I spent 15 years dreaming of some way to make the shop bigger. Bought the lot next door. No matter what we have....human nature drives us to want more. It’s just the flaw of our nature. But it’s okay. It is what it is. It’s what keeps us waking up every morning. And moving forward.

Don’t we all Frank. No matter our size of shop....it’s never big enough. When I was 21, I opened my auto repair shop in an old service station. 5000 sf brick building and yet... every evening when we’d lock up I’d spend a half hour cramming the cars inside to lock up. I spent 15 years dreaming of some way to make the shop bigger. Bought the lot next door. No matter what we have....human nature drives us to want more. It’s just the flaw of our nature. But it’s okay. It is what it is. It’s what keeps us waking up every morning. And moving forward.
Tell me about the conversion you did on the southbend, “C”To “B”, that may be the answer to looking for “change gears“.

Back