Tool Chest for Christmas

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I bought a used Grizzly tool chest (top) about 2 years ago. I like it, it's not a Gerstner, but it's very good.
Just throwing it out there because the price is so reasonable. The whole stack is.
If you have an garage shop this will protect your tools from the cold to hot humid air, that leaves condensation all over the box and tools. The wood protects it quite a bit better.

I was unable to find the listing for these when I bought mine. So it seems that they may have disappeared and now are back.
Mine is 26" and less drawers. I still think they are a good deal.

Attachments

• PXL_20231204_192317682.jpg
    PXL_20231204_192317682.jpg
    624.5 KB · Views: 16
Looks good, will be interesting to see how close the fit up is on the drawers, price is not too cheap, but sure beats over two grand for the Gerstner box, I bought mine back in the 1960s, cost all of $76. Let us know how it measures up for quality.

I'm not buying, I have one. I saw that they're carrying them again. Thought that some might be interested. The fit on mine is great. But again 26inch so this is a different animal.

Yes, 23" is a bit oddball. My Gerstner is made to hold a 24" rule, wonder why they settled for 23"?

Looks like a good deal. Ive been mulling over the idea of making one. I have a pile of quarter-sawn white oak flooring cutoffs that would be perfect for a tool chest...

Yes, 23" is a bit oddball. My Gerstner is made to hold a 24" rule, wonder why they settled for 23"?
I think we are losing the imperial vs metric battle. 23" is 584.2 mm 26" is 660.4
I'm betting it's a shipping thing.. they probably are doing 600mm on the packaging.. just a guess.
That 3" means that you also lose 1.5" on the side by side drawers and 3" on the large..
so it's considerable. But if you are looking to keep fine tools (mics, calipers, parallels, etc) in a garage env, it may save you from a rusty tool.

But if you are looking to keep fine tools (mics, calipers, parallels, etc) in a garage env, it may save you from a rusty tool.
Never worked for me . The Gerstners are in the basement . Tools rust as those do in the Vidmars in the garage . :dunno: How do these stack up to the import Gerstners they sell today ? I had a lady trying to sell me a Gerstner box for $800 not long ago . I knew it wasn't a true Gerstner and showed her a website .She still wanted 4 times what the box cost new . :big grin:

According to the ad in the link you provided the chest has an "oak veneer". That leads me to believe the material it's made out of is something other than oak. Considering the price, it may be something like pine or even particle board. The name of the product is "T33819 Oak Chest", however nowhere in the ad does it say it's made of oak.

If at all possible, I would look at an example to see if you can determine the structural material before buying one and ask the salesperson if they know what material it's made out of. If it's actually made from oak, they will be proud to forward that information. If it's made of a lesser material, it's less likely they would have that information.

Reviews on the item seem to be all over the map. They range from "the greatest thing since sliced bread" to "the ultimate POS, don't waste your money". If you're interested in one I would either inspect it first or purchase it from a vendor that has some type of return policy.

From Q&A

It consists of oak veneer with a central core made of MDF.​

From Q&A

It consists of oak veneer with a central core made of MDF.​

I'm not wood expert, but everything I've read about MDF says it doesn't react to moisture very well. If that's the case I wouldn't think it would be the product of choice to "protect your tools from the cold to hot humid air, that leaves condensation all over the box and tools".

Back