Tool Box Liner

My uncle Bob lived in Naples,FL and he told me that an old mech. used zinc in each toolbox drawer. It acted as a sacrificial anode,the zinc was corroded and not the tools. His zinc was just those old style canning jar lids, but zinc is readily available in other forms.

I use a synthetic carpet that I bought from Lowes or Home Depot. It is a very short pile, about 1/4 or 3/8 maximum, sort of on the idea of an Astroturf, but a finer fiber. It was sold as an indoor-outdoor carpet.

The carpet that I bought was a grey and black mix, speckled I guess you would call it. There is just enough pile to keep tools from sliding when you open or close the drawers, and the synthetic fibers don't hold moisture and promote rust.

I have been using the same carpet in my Craftsman mechanics tool chests for over 12 years with zero problems.

I guess I'm a low cost kinda guy. I just get a couple of cans of the spray undercoating that dries and paint the isides of the drawers and wells and call it good. I have a couple of three and 4 drawer Matco carts that get a lot of tools in and out and are constatnly getting scratched, so I paint them before they get too much rust started and head off the corrosion in advance. The humidity here in N. Central Fla is definately a killer for any unpainted or uncoated metals. Hope this helps.
Bob

What makes anyone think that putting fabric or especially CARPET is going to help prevent rusting. I would think that such materials,especially thick fabrics would be a place to absorb and retain humidity.

Some of these cheap carpets off gas so much I can actually smell them. My wife bought a cheap carpet for our living room(and put our $1500.00 Karastan in the back room). The silly thing smelled like firecrackers for at least 6 years. I didn't like it since I had no idea what chemicals I was breathing. The older I get,the more they affect me.

Exactly. Cloths absorb moisture and tend to retain it, especially when in contact with a non-absorbent surface like tools. That's why you never keep a gun wrapped in cloth, unless it's a cloth soaked in an oil or preservative. You also don't keep them in leather for the same reason.

I'm glad you guys brought this up. I was wondering about the silicone-impregnated material they use for "gun socks" and if that might be a good choice for tooling/tool boxes as well.

gunsock.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/93...d-polyester-blend-gray-with-black-logo-13-1-2

The MidwayUSA Gun Sock is a silicone-treated polyester sock that stretches over the length of a pistol or revolver for a form-fitting solution for protecting your firearms from scratches, scuffs, and corrosion when not in use or while traveling when placed inside a range bag or hard case. The silicone treated polyester will not hold moisture making it ideal for travel in different climates as well as year-round storage. Don't risk rust and tarnish forming on your valuable guns, pick up a MidwayUSA Silicone Impregnated Gun Sock for each of your firearms today. Features the MidwayUSA logo.

-Ron

i expect the special silicone and other stuff in the gun sock is good for protection.

This just reminded me that I lined my gun cabinet with SILVER CHEST treated felt. ( Not really felt,but more like pool table cloth that has been treated with chemicals to prevent corrosion. High grade material.

I worked on the side with the silversmith manufacturing shop,a behind the scenes shop in Col. Williamsburg. We made the PGA trophies there. I did the spinning chucks,drawing dies,and wooden parts. They used this cloth to make bags to keep the trophies in. I don't know where they bought it,but I bought mine from them. A little Googling will likely find sources for it.

What makes anyone think that putting fabric or especially CARPET is going to help prevent rusting. I would think that such materials,especially thick fabrics would be a place to absorb and retain humidity.

Some of these cheap carpets off gas so much I can actually smell them. My wife bought a cheap carpet for our living room(and put our $1500.00 Karastan in the back room). The silly thing smelled like firecrackers for at least 6 years. I didn't like it since I had no idea what chemicals I was breathing. The older I get,the more they affect me.

The carpet that I used is 100% synthetic. It absorbs zero moisture, and 12 years later I have yet to have a tool rust on me.

Also, the pile on the carpet not only keeps the tools from shifting, but also lets air circulate under the tool so it isn't making hard contact anywhere.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy a sample for something like $2 and give it a try with tools that you don't care about.

Do you really think that the felt in the Kennedy tool chests don't absorb moisture?

There is noting that prevents rusting better than lowering the humidity and stabilizing the temperature. My machine shop is climate controlled and dehumidified every day of the year. Now my mechanics tools are in a separate room and are subject to the whims of humidity and heat, but have not rusted yet.

Back