Today my wife woke me in a panic

hammer time..

Ball peen of course. Not even cockroaches survive that.

When I was 18 my apartment building had cockroaches. I'd squirt them with lemon pledge to slow them down, and them hammer em dead. At least my apartment always smelled fresh and had shiny floors.

It's still alive and kicking... t

How much oxygen does a tick need? I had it in sealed mason jar. Time for an alcohol bath?

View attachment 423999
I flush them down the toilet. Maybe I am developing a new gigantic species of tick in our sewer systems that will eventually burst its way of a man-hole cover to crawl through the city streets. But then again, one exposure to one of my dumps and I am confident it will die a horrible death. ;)

I flush them down the toilet. Maybe I am developing a new gigantic species of tick in our sewer systems that will eventually burst its way of a man-hole cover to crawl through the city streets. But then again, one exposure to one of my dumps and I am confident it will die a horrible death. ;)
Our sewers are a terrible chemical stew of excreted drug residues and viral loads.

I hate to think of the potential mutated ticks that could emerge from such environs

@vtcnc :)
I have a long history of fairly extreme chemical warfare on insects, particularly blood-sucking kinds that want to leave a person with malaria, and much else.

In Botswana, I had this nightly ritual to clear the rondawel of mosquitos. I would ensure all the mosquito screens were closed. Sleep under a net, etc. I hated the green slow-burn pyrethrum incense spirals. The mozzies seemed to fly on unharmed, regardless I hit them with direct blast from the spray can. Then one day I grabbed a can, blasted it, and the insect started to lose altitude immediately, crashing to a stop. I looked at the can, and it was collar spray starch! About 10,000x as effective as anything else one could buy! From that point on, I got way more aggressive with what I would take on insects with.

You can't go anywhere in that bush without collecting ticks, though I managed not to let any get to my skin. Getting them out of the clothes was easiest done with a drop of 105 Octane Aviation AVGas.

Tsetse flies were harder to lose. Painful, and they cause trypanosomiasis (sleeping sickness). The list goes on. My ultimate deterrents were extreme solvent hydrocarbons, poisoned vaseline, boiling water (on larvae), and fire!

[Edit: I forgot Bayer 70 to take out the little snails on water hyacinth near the shores of dams I would sail on. These would propagate bilharzia. Bloody fluke worms that get in your blood! ]
Sometimes I think the winters in Vermont are too much to bear. Then I hear stories like this and go inside.

Sometimes I think the winters in Vermont are too much to bear.
You have an open invitation to visit Calgary any January. You may get +20C or you may get -35C. Either way, you only have to wait a day or 2....

Ya never know, we might get lucky and get this guy. One of my favorite hero's, The Tick. Mike

1666303262112.png

You have an open invitation to visit Calgary any January. You may get +20C or you may get -35C. Either way, you only have to wait a day or 2....
when I lived in moose jaw we only seemed to get -40, the only variable was whether it was blizzardy -40 or crystal clear and still -40

I still remember in mid 1980s it was so cold the pipes burst INSIDE the regina airport when I was piping up brother for his one and only visit to the province.

Back