Titanium Ice Picks

What’s the source or how’d you do the carbide tips? I’ve thought of using spent tungsten that are to small for tig welding for a scribe tip? Didn’t know if it would be durable enough. Beautiful work Will!

Thank you!

The carbidizer I am using is the Tung Carb by BEBE Manufacturing. It basically uses a modified Dremel engraver with a transformer hooked up to it. Needs the vibrating/reciprocating action to work. Uses a 1/8" carbide blank for the electrode and can use old 1/8" carbide endmills when it wears out. Commonly used on tool steels & by knife makers on titanium.

Picked mine up at the local Travers. Not sure if they still sell them but if not can find em at knife maker suppliers. There are also commercial units but are much more expensive. The BEBE was about $200. Can also make your own with a DC power supply.

The carbidized tips was functional (in theory) since titanium does not have good resistance to wear but here's something I did more for cosmetic. Well wear resistance also but not needed on these little canisters I used to make, also titanium. I only made one like this, was just messing around. Just to give you a better idea of what carbidizing looks like.

79841.jpg
79843.jpg

So it’s like a plating. The old carbide endmill is the cathode? Learned something new.

So it’s like a plating. The old carbide endmill is the cathode? Learned something new.

The hardening process is known as Electro Spark Deposition or Electro Spark Alloying. Other than the name I don't know much about it all. I just know that the expensive industrial units work far more better at deposting the carbide than hobby units like I have. They are also very dangerous due to the high voltage & current.

Back