Tips on making a forcing screw for my ball joint press.

D.sebens

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I’m making a shorter screw for my u joint/ball joint press tool. IMG_2936.png
One of these. The thread is 1 1/8 x 7 tpi. Out of the thrifty pile I have a Ford full float axle shaft. Machinerys and the Internet says it’s probably 1040ish. I don’t think the factory is using 4140. I know I can scratch it with a file but my bi metal blade bandsaw only scratches it also. I cut off a chunk to anneal in my wood stove and the was able to cut a little coupon off of the rest of the axle once it cooled. I know it can be annealed based on that.
This is the first time I’ve used the wood stove to anneal so we so see how that goes.

All that aside, it seems like 1040(if that’s even what it is) is good for bolts. Would it be good for a forcing screw of that size? If so should it be left annealed or should it be tempered? I think the press is capable of multiple tons of force but I feel like the screw choice is pretty robust. Also I have no oven/kiln/forge and havent tempered metal since high school. It would have to be done with a oxy ace torch(or a propane weed burner). I could get some fire brick for a backstop. Does this seem feasible?

Back