Tips on drilling this hole?

Travis7s

Active User
Registered
So I need to drill the highlighted hole below out larger, but because of the low clearance, my cordless drill can't fit. I thought I would possibly be able to do it using my hands with a bit, but the material is polyethylene and the bit catches immediately. Any hints or tips on how I might be able to do this?

YNKRqNb.jpg

YNKRqNb.jpg

YNKRqNb.jpg

Travis what size drill bit? And what is the width that you have to work with. A friend of mine has a neat right angle adapter that fits into his cordless drill and doesn't need much room.

David

Enlarging from 3mm to .200". The inner area I have to work with is 6.75" x 4"

V0QcNbN.jpg

V0QcNbN.jpg

V0QcNbN.jpg

Progressively with increasing size bits in a pin vise. Not sure of the accuracy required, but perhaps even heating a drill bit shank might do it.

David

Two suggestions:

HPIM3472.jpg

Either a taper reamer (General Tool No. 130) or a step drill could be used. You'd have to remove the cross-bar from the reamer to get it to turn in the small space you have. And you can more easily turn the step drill if you put it in a tap wrench with a loose or sliding handle.

Neither will give you an exact 0.200" hole all the way through your part, but if a stepped or slightly tapered hole is good enough, you're there. If not, you can get close enough to use a regular drill bit of the final size with much less chance of grabbing.

HPIM3472.jpg

Looks like the inner hole lines up with the outer holes. Could you use a long bit and drill from the outside?
Another option might be a flex shaft on a rotary tool.

So I need to drill the highlighted hole below out larger, but because of the low clearance, my cordless drill can't fit. I thought I would possibly be able to do it using my hands with a bit, but the material is polyethylene and the bit catches immediately. Any hints or tips on how I might be able to do this?

You need to flatten the the lip (cutting edge) of the drill bit, that will keep it from grabbing.

cutting%20edge_so%2001.JPG

Then use an angle adapter on you drill, or do it by hand.

fleebay has
Milwaukee 49-22-8510 Heavy Duty Compact Right Angle Drill Attachment Kit
for about $50

Back