Tim's Machine Shop Plans

Just for fun

Tim Young
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So I currently do not own any machine shop tools. But I have a plan! My current shop is 30'x30' that is full for the most part. I have a 200 Amp service feeding the shop, floor heat, air compressor, Mig, Tig and Stick welders, plasma cutter Oxy/acetylene torch and lots of other tools. All that, I plan on keeping the same and in the shop. My plan is to build another building 10'x20' just a few feed away maybe 10' to 15' but on the opposite side of the building from the power. I'm thinking at this point about installing a 100 amp service panel in the new building, but like I said rough guess 45' to 50' from the existing 200 amp service panel. I would like to have floor heat in the new building along with Air Conditioner those two things are the big hitters for AC power besides the lathe and mill. My plan for a lathe is a PM-1236 Precision and for the mill a PM-728VT.

Lots of things to think about but I think I can do it!

10 x 15 would be pretty tight. 10 x 20 would be better. I use my garage for my shop. Inside it is 21 x 21.5 feet. The center is filled with my MG Midget and a big work bench made out of an old wooden desk. A work bench, lathe, mill/drill and a drill press line the left wall. The far right wall is lined with bench grinder, belt sander, band saws, router table and a radial arm saw. If the Midget and work bench were removed everything could fit in 10 x 20 feet. Everything is on wheels except for the lathe and radial arm saw. Here is the layout of my garage/shop

garage layout ver 003.jpg

Cool, thanks for the layout. I guess I was a little miss leading in my description. The new building will be 10'x20' and will be placed approximately 15' from the existing building.

Nice choice on the machines, I recommend getting a DRO for the Mill and also the power feed for the X axis to start with, the DRO helps with setup and machining operations, also the power feeds help with surface finish and keeping you away from the hot chips when they start flying.
I also love the circle hole and straight line hole functions on the DRO, never thought I'd use those functions as much as I do.

The PM1236 seems like a very capable lathe and is quite a popular choice for a medium sized hobby lathe, I considered it but was able to upgrade to the PM1340GT.

Are you going to trench around the existing building and run PVC conduit for the new 100Amp load center in the new shop?

Could be fun trying to tie into the existing panel with heated floors if you have to cut concrete, maybe you can use a PVC LB connector and exit the building above grade and then go underground.

What type of in-floor heat in the new building, electric or hydronic?

Good luck and I look forward to following along.

David.

Why are you separating the new building from the existing building? It would be easier and more handy to have the new building attached to the existing building. You will find yourself running back and forth between the buildings.

Thanks for the responses guys.

My existing shop has hydronic floor heat. In the new building I will be going electric cables. As far as getting power to the new building, here is what I think, I have not talked to an electrician yet. Come out of the existing panel run along the wall on the inside (because I can't get to outside now with the walk in cooler) to the back of the shop and then bury it over to the new building.

The reason for the separation of the buildings is really just the lay of the land. It's all hill property with no room to expand. Here is a quick hand drawing of what I have planned. I'm probably still a year out so things could change but this is what I am shooting for.

Tim

20210104_105439_copy_924x1223.jpg

Seems like it would be awkward to get materials into the new shop at that angle. It is hard to tell from the sketch, but would there be sufficient room to add the new building just overlapping the old shop far enough to allow for a man door between the two. That would then allow for a large roll up door on the end of the new building to get machinery and materials in much easier and would allow you to make it longer in the future should you desire.

My drawing is not to scale, there is access to the side of the building granded it will not be stright on. I am planning on a door of somesort on the long side of the building. Everything on the hill side is a hassle, but that is what I have so I have to go with it.

You know...... What might be better, I'll have to think about this, but.

Still build the 10x20 but instead of making it the machine shop, just make it storage for the things that are taking up space in the shop.

I kind of like the idea of having the machine shop separate, but the more I talk to you guys the more I'm thinking the storage shead might be a better way to go. It sure would be a lot less money!

That would allow you to create divisions in your current shop to separate the dirty operations from the clean ones. I would hate to have to go and/or take projects from one building to another.

Back