Time to add a mill. Knee or vertical?

(snip)Bob, please stop trying to second guess my intentions. I ask questions to learn, not to justify past or future actions. I asked about pulleys to learn, not because I needed a lesson in 4th grade math. I asked a leading question about these machines (yes, plural) not because I wanted to bid on them, but because I know how much others bid and what they went for. And my jaw is still on the floor.
Your point is well taken, Randy, and I apologize for sounding like I was guessing your intentions. MY intentions were (and are) to help you avoid making some of the same mistakes I have and many others have as well. I certainly do not want to tell you what you should purchase. Each of us will need to make his/her own decisions -- as it should be...

Bob, I'm sure you have plenty of experience to offer. I hope I did not hurt any feelings, but felt we needed to alter the course a bit before there were.

Here's the local situation. We have the worlds largest Naval complex just to the east. We have the only ship builder capable of making super carriers just to the north. And we have enough small ship yards and shops to support the industry. The problem is these shops don't deal with penny-ante stuff. Want a bit of custom machining or prototyping? Maybe a motorcycle frame powdercoated? Not going to happen locally. If you don't have a government or shipyard PO backing you up, they won't even talk to you. Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm paying $150 per unit to essentially drill two holes. He's the only one in town that would take on such a small job.

There is no local surplus machine market. I have been watching and learning. A used ho-hum no frills no tooling BP? $3000 and sold in hours. A 40 year old Jet knee mill like the one that started this thread sold for almost $2000 in a day. And the two machines above? Decommissioned Army surplus. The one that appeared someone had carved their initials in the table went for $1000. The other $1400. With about a dozen different bidder ID's involved. It's friggin insane.

If I was in a need to have a Bridgeport in my shop in a month, the most economical way would be to buy from Lost Creek (or similar) and eat the grand in crating/freight/delivery fees. I'm not to that point yet. But I am watching what is happening, and questioning how much machine I need/want. And questioning my grip on reality. Right now, honestly, I'm leaning towards that small knee mill. If something changes and I need a bigger machine, I'll deal with it then. Likely jumping straight to CNC.

I do appreciate the answers.

Mill--Index Super 55
Lathe--Logan 2557V (12" x 35")

They cleaned up pretty well. Motorcycle wheel cleaner works best on burned-on cutting oil and chips. :)

mill-19_zpsa7cca649.jpg

mill-15_zps0fa035d6.jpg
Wow need to add motorcycle wheel cleaner to my shopping list!

... There is no local surplus machine market...It's friggin insane...

Keep in mind "If you believe you can't, you're right!"

Here in the Los Angeles area there is immense pressure for useful machines at hobbyist prices. I had searched hard for appropriate machines for many months before I found the pair I bought. Their owner had passed away some years prior, and his widow only offered them for sale when she was forced to tear down the un-permitted "garage" in which they were stored. I didn't screw around, but jumped on them right away, making a fair offer which was immediately accepted. And had them moved (~12 miles) right away by a professional machinery mover; this was a brilliant display of a pro working entirely alone. I learned a lot watching him.

Be patient. But also be prepared to search every day: craigslist, eBay, forums, etc. Be creative--your machine might be close by, just waiting for you to discover it. Have your finances instantly available so someone else doesn't beat you to it.

Good luck with your search.

While this thread may give the impression otherwise, I've actually been searching for machine equipment for over a year; before my name was on the house deed. The South Bend made itself available back in July and I jumped. Mills have been more elusive. This thread has helped give me research directions and prioritize what I want and don't want.

Is this the wheel cleaner you used?
http://www.s100.com/s100_wc.htm

That's precisely what I used, after unsuccessfully trying numerous other cleaners and solvents. I didn't want to damage the original paint, even though that was nowhere near pristine, because I wanted to keep the machines in original condition as much as possible. And because I had no desire whatsoever to repaint them which, to me, greatly reduces their value.

I soaked the burned on cutting oil/metal chip combination and then used various methods of rubbing it off, including thin wooden sticks, which are similar to tongue depressors, but without the rounded ends; these are scrap/cutoffs from my wood shop that I recycle for stirring epoxy. Also various kitchen scrubbers and paper towels. Additionally I used denatured (not rubbing) alcohol on paper towels.

It is inevitable that some of these used machines will be found with this extremely tough and resistant coating of cutting oil and chips.

I'm talking about a BridgePort style mill & not a benchtop knee mill or a Clausing 8520 style knee mill.

Ok Will, Explain the 8520 thinggy... I just bought one, because I wanted a Knee, and could not fit a BP. As a matter of fact, I can't fit the 8520 :(. I'm more than 1/2 through the refurb, the machine is being assembled, waiting on the bearings.
What should I be aware of? I know it's not a full size mill, I know it's more stout than a most benchtops. It has a standard knee, which means I get to make depth adjustments based on the dial on the knee crank... So what is the NOT 8520 mean?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Back