Time For A New Tractor?

projectnut

Registered
Registered
As many of you may already know I've had a John Deere 445 all wheel steer garden tractor for many years. I purchased it in 2000 along with a few accessories to work at the house and family cottage. It replaced a Bolens that was in excellent shape but getting hard to find parts for.

Fast forward 24 years and the 445 is still running and performing like new. The clock shows 626 hours, but it actually only has a little less than 600 hours run time. The additional hours were accumulated on the clock when I was working on it and errantly left the ignition in the on position until the battery died.

The problem isn't with the tractor, but rather the operator. Yesterday I was installing the mower deck as I usually do this time of year. I'm not sure what the problems were, but I struggled an hour and a half before finally giving up and going to lunch. Keep in mind this is usually a 15-minute PITA job. After the lunch break, I came back and for reasons known only to God things went as planned and the installation was completed in 10 minutes.

I was growling to the wife about the troubles I was having, and she suggested I look into one of the newest machines that have the drive over mower attachment. I looked online and found JD makes an almost identical machine the 739X. It has all the features of the current machine, with a little more horsepower, and optional 4-wheel drive.

I like the machine but have a hard time justifying spending over $20,000.00 for a new tractor just because it's difficult to install a mower. To put things in context the mower is removed and installed several times a year. It comes off for aerating, grading dirt, plowing snow, and when using other implements where ground clearance is needed. When in the fully raised position the bottom of the deck is only about 6" off the ground. That's hardly enough clearance when going over rough terrain or areas with brush.

I was also wondering if anyone made an aftermarket drive over attachment kit that could be adapted to the current mower and tractor. The first tractor I had was a 1950's Bolens Ride A Matic. It originally came with a drive over mower deck. It was a little different in that the mower was powered by a driveshaft that still needed to be connected by hand. In this case however the drive shaft was easy to get to and took less than a minute to install.

This is the tractor I'm considering with a 60" mower deck. I looked at the series 1 tractors, but they're a bit large to get between some of the trees on the property. They're also all diesel which is a no go as far as the wife is concerned. It's interesting that this model has a 4 year/700-hour warranty. Obviously, they think it's going to get more use than I've given the 445, but that's another story. While I do believe the new machine will get far more use than the current one, I doubt it will get 700 hours use in 4 years.

17 years ago, I agonized on buying diesel machines. I went from 3 gas 520 Wheelhorses to 2 diesel John Deeres. A 2305 and a 2520 and I would no way consider going back to gas. The diesels are so much more fuel efficient than the gas. Not sure what your wife is objecting to. Good luck on your decision.

You may want to see the removal and install of the mower deck demostrated, and try it yourself before purchasing. I had a MF 135. It was a great step up from the 9N that was before. For retirement, I purchased a Mahindra 25 hp. 4 wheel drive Diesel. Front end loader, 5 ft drive over mower. Forget the model. A great tractor! The drive over mower was kind of a pain to unhook and hook back up. The PTO was from the rear, and meant you had to climb under the tractor to release the shaft. It could be tricky to get the mounting pins to line up. I ended up buying a 3 point hitch Woods finishing mower. Actually only used that a few times because we sold and moved to FL. The belly mower belt, don't buy a replacement from the dealer, get one online, save 80% or so.

JD decks can be a pain to install , I know all about it . I find that there are too many used tractors out in the field that owners cant fix a simple issue . I just picked up a GT235 which now runs perfect and looks great and have less than $400 into it . This has a 54C deck . The Kubota B7510 has a 60" undermount deck . I removed it and never used it . Grass cutting is done on the Ariens Zero Turn with a 52" deck . I owned Exmarks over the years with 60" and 72" decks and these were just too heavy and too big for going in between trees . The little Ariens is light , built well and made in the USA .

As far as installing the JD decks , I have one to put on today . I hate the front bar set-up . You are correct in saying it's a PITA . If I was buying another tractor today for grass cutting , it would be a Cub Cadet 2072 or 1872 SGT . These hold 60" Haban decks , power steering , heavy duty hydro rears , 26 in rear tires and are a joy to ride . I've restored over 25 of these over the years but they're hard to come by these days .

My handle is CCSuperMan over on the Cub Cadet forum and have " supers " across the country . :)

17 years ago, I agonized on buying diesel machines. I went from 3 gas 520 Wheelhorses to 2 diesel John Deeres. A 2305 and a 2520 and I would no way consider going back to gas. The diesels are so much more fuel efficient than the gas. Not sure what your wife is objecting to. Good luck on your decision.
The wife can't stand the smell of diesel exhaust. She starts coughing and her eyes start watering with just the slightest whiff. As for fuel efficiency it's not a major concern. The current tractor has a 6-gallon tank, and that lasts several mowings, or plowing sessions.

I was just looking at a couple videos of the new tractor/mower mount system. I think some of the problems I've had over the years are somewhat self-inflicted. When I ordered the current tractor, I purchased front, center, and rear power take offs. I also got 4-wheel steering, a hydraulic 3-point hitch, a crash guard under the differential, and had spacers installed on the rear hubs for clearance to use tire chains. All the additional accessories make it much harder to access the mower lift arms and attach the drive shaft.

The machines in the videos don't have any of these accessories. It's open under the frame with easy access to all the hitch points and drive shaft. On one machine without the quick connect system the operator just lays on his back at the rear of the tractor and reaches under the differential to attach the drive shaft. There's absolutely no way that can be done on the current tractor. I doubt it could be done on a new one with the same options.

I don't have any great recommendations, but I know what you mean about taking that deck on and off. I owned a JD 425 at one point and struggled to get that deck on. I really liked that 425, but there came a point when I wanted a loader. That resulted in a Kubota BX2380, which I absolutely loved, except for getting the deck on and off. Just like the John Deere, it was challenging at times. I see that they now have a drive-over option for the Kubota. I can't express how much I loved that little tractor and how much of a workhorse it was.

You can get the Kubota with a loader and drive-over mower for a few thousand less than the JD. The joke about John Deere's expensive green paint has some truth to it.
https://shop.kubotausa.com/buildmykubota/1-Tractors/1247-BX1880/BX2380/BX2680/BX23S/BX2380R14V60D-1

As Randy mentioned, I wonder why your wife doesn't want a diesel. I have had no issues with the small diesels that I have owned.

You can get the Kubota with a loader and drive-over mower for a few thousand less than the JD. The joke about John Deere's expensive green paint has some truth to it.
Their green paint IS expensive , so is their yellow . :grin: My Kubota gets used every day of the year and still has less than 500 hrs . I swear by it , not at it . 5 gallons of diesel will last thru the summer . I picked it up for a measly price of $7800 years ago with 50 hrs. on the clock . The deals are out there if you're ready to jump on them .

John Deere's are really a PITA compared to Cubs in many ways also . So many guards with multiple bolts in the wildest places . Their plastic lids and cowlings are made to break the first time you open the hood , and they are not cheap . :eek: Bring back the metal JD !!

I don't have any great recommendations, but I know what you mean about taking that deck on and off. I owned a JD 425 at one point and struggled to get that deck on. I really liked that 425, but there came a point when I wanted a loader. That resulted in a Kubota BX2380, which I absolutely loved, except for getting the deck on and off. Just like the John Deere, it was challenging at times. I see that they now have a drive-over option for the Kubota. I can't express how much I loved that little tractor and how much of a workhorse it was.

https://shop.kubotausa.com/buildmykubota/1-Tractors/1247-BX1880/BX2380/BX2680/BX23S/BX2380R14V60D-1

As Randy mentioned, I wonder why your wife doesn't want a diesel. I have had no issues with the small diesels that I have owned.
Before purchasing the current 445 I looked at literally dozens of different brands and models of tractors. There were so many on the market I actually had to make a spread sheet to help determine the actual cost of the machine I was considering.

Many of the lower priced brands didn't include features I was looking for, or they were add on options. Originally JD wasn't even on the list since I thought they were out of my price range. When everything was taken into consideration the JD 445 was third on the list as far as cost was concerned.

Still not sure which direction to go I started making inquiries to dealers as far as warranty and parts availability. Many of the lower priced machines topped out at a 1-year warranty and had poor parts availability. I finally decided on JD because of the 4-year warranty, and the fact that they still had parts available for their original 100 series machines that were built in 1966. I'd gone through parts availability problems with the Bolens machines and didn't want to repeat it. Over the years the 445 hasn't required very many replacement parts, but they've always been available when I needed them.

Cub Cadets are highly sought after- I can see why, they have a devoted following (there are entire websites for them) and were made
solidly with steel the way things were made to last in the 60s and early 70s
I like the angular and boxy styling of the real old ones

Back