Tig torch cable

JR49

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My Tig machine came with only a 10 foot power/argon cable. Can I get an adapter to add another cable so I’ll have a 20 footer? If so, where can I get one and what is it called? Thanks, JR49

Can you extend it? Generally, no. Cable length increases the ampacity requirements and those components are engineered. You can buy individual components to assemble anything, but before going there, we need to know what kind of machine and torch you have to answer specifically. In general, if it's an import welder, just order an import torch in the length you want from anywhere that peddles Chinese goods like Amazon or eBay. Cheap fix for cheap tools. But if you have a commercial grade welder, you usually have two main options: OEM or 3rd party. OEMs are more costly but well-supported. 3rd parties like Tweco, CK Global, etc. make the best stuff with the most interchange options. Go to an online or a brick and mortar welding supplier for that stuff. I like Bakersgas and Cyberweld.

If you just need a longer gas hose, no problem! You can buy them complete or assemble one with fittings from (you guessed it) your welding supplier. It's low pressure inert gas, so you can use fuel hose from Autozone and hose clamps or compressed air line. For sanity's sake, I like to use CGA stuff from the welding shop, it's not expensive, but if you're really cheap and think the insurance will pay out regardless, it's stuff you can mail order on eBay or Amazon along with Peking duck, two egg rolls, and your choice of sides.

As John said, a lot depends on the welder and connections. I replaced the torch on my AHP AlphaTIG with a Weldcraft, but I had to modify the plug and use the gas connector from my old torch.

Even for a "cheap " welder*, a good torch (e.g. CK) and footpedal can make a huge difference. As @pontiac428 said, you really don't want to extend your short cables. Particularly since they were only 10' to begin with - that's @#%ing short! Odds are that they are the bare minimum wire gauge for that length. If your welder is any good, you'll never regret getting a CK torch.

GsT

* I include the low-end Millers in this category. They come with a foot pedal that is unforgivably bad and a torch that could only be called "adequate" in a charitable moment. I know Everlast has quite a few antagonists here, but my Everlast welder came with a torch that is indistinguishable from a CK and a "Nova" pedal that is the spitting image of an SSC. (For those who don't know, CK and SSC are about as good as it gets...)

As mentioned, we'd need to know what welder you have, and what torch setup is on it? Air-cooled, water-cooled and size (WP-9, WP-17, WP-26, WP-18 and WP-20 are common). Two sites that I use regularly for parts like this are Arc Zone and Weld USA....both really good companies. I will say that while I avoid cheap welding stuff as a general rule, there is one company selling imported torches I tried a while back that have worked really well. They seem to be a straight knockoff of CK and have flexible hoses, good connectors and zero issues, at half the price (or less) of CK. They only offer certain styles, so if you tell us what you have, I'll go see if it's an option. I've used four or five of their water-cooled WP-20 torches and they've been perfect.

Back