Tig issues. Maybe 25/75?

FuzzNut

Registered
Registered
I got a Vulcan protig 205 a few weeks ago and killed my 85CF bottle already. Went and got filled.. I think they gave me 75/25 ?? Really weird. Tried 2 diff torches. 2% lanthaniated , 2% thoriated, 100% tungsten. 3 diff gas lens and a regular collet body. Stainless wire brush then acetone, file then acetone, tried a bunch of stuff … has to be 75/25?? I killed this bottle now so no biggie gonna refill but weird.. don’t want it to happen on stuff that matters

5e6c8a492a905c7bb9399d2d78c9c0ab.jpg

Previous playing … 3/32 aluminum. Seemed really easy to me. I have stick and mig welded a lot.

d87ea1e9381de188b179ae17c4318545.jpg

20458d5c913ee55ed04167f478973e5d.jpg

Anyone ever experienced this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have, with my AHP AlphaTIG 200. I was sure it was bad gas. After getting a replacement bottle, I was still having the same problem. Thought I was losing my mind. Turned out the hose had been damaged inside the braid covering right where it exited the connector at the front of the welder. The braid wasn't damaged, just a little disturbed. I was getting enough flow to feel and hear the puff when I first stepped on the pedal, but not enough to properly shield the weld. I got a less flexible, more durable torch lead.

It also looks like you have the Tungsten too far from the metal for some of those welds, and you are heating a large area. Another possibility is a radial grind on your tungsten tip, instead of front-to back grind marks (this will scatter and broaden the arc). You do have some narrower beads that look fairly good, it appears to be the broad ones which have the greatest problem. For the last question, are you sure you are on AC, and what is the Cleaning ratio you are using?

I tried 60, 70%, 75,78,85. Tried 60,80,90,100,120 HZ. I turned my gas up to 40 Cf/hr to try also lol

Yea I’m still new my tungsten is all over the place no doubt. Just the extreme black soot was never there before

Going to inspect torch and stuff tomorrow. Good idea. I don’t have a second hose and I’d like to get a nice flexible one.

The only real test would be to bubble your gas through distilled water, and test the PH (acidity before and after). If there is CO2 in the gas, the water will turn slightly acidic. If it is pure Argon, the PH will remain the same. A "pool water tester kit" should be sensitive enough to do the test. The colder the water the better, as CO2 dissolves more efficiently in cold water than warm water.

I have a hot tub, so I have some water test kits. maybe I’ll try that with what’s left in the bottle! Thanks for all the great ideas and quick replies guys

75/25 is for MIG on steel, I never used it on steel, straight CO2 being so much cheaper. 75/25 makes a much neater bead, but more expensive.

Back