TIG Cooling System?

Miller lists 60PSI on several of their models with Procon pumps, and I suspect that's pretty standard since most seem to use the same basic pump setup.

I found a workaround once when I didn't have the right fittings to put a gauge on a cooler after reassembling the pump and it seemed to work well. I've flushed and then tested quite a few coolers now, and after I've flushed the system completely I like to fill it with fresh water, hook up a 5-6' output line and check the flow before adding coolant. I've found that they typically send the water 10-15' with the hose held just above horizontal. When I reassembled the pump I adjusted the relief valve until it sent the water 10-15' and it's been fine every since.
OK - I get from this that you are discovering the pressure by seeing how high it can push the water upwards.
I thought 1 atmosphere (nearly 1 bar) was worth about 32ft.

Operating the pump with a bypass with a needle valve in it does let you adjust the pressure, but of course, the pump is maxed out all the time.

There are all sorts of YT videos of successful, even if sometimes crazy, setups. One Australian guy uses a low cost fuel pump. It really pushes a big flow. I had my doubts about continuous running performance, because fuel pumps normally operate intermittently once the fuel line is full.

So - at least some experimentation is gong to happen. I have ordered a little (low cost) radiator matrix normally used for a car heater. If it proves a bust, then it may have to be something more robust, like an oil cooler, but the simple 5 gallon bucket, as explained @benmychree does seem such a straightforward no fuss fix, it has to be attractive, and John used it for years!

This link will provide some insight as to the recommended requirements for a cooler. (I have no affilliation with this company)

https://www.arc-zone.com/pdf/Maximizing_Water-Cooled_TIG_Performance.pdf

From what I have researched, a flow of 1 liter/minute is adequate for most torches. The pressure required to obtain that flow is dependant on the systems pressure drop (resistance to flow) which will vary with hose diameter and length, torch flow characteristics, and cooling system parameters.

Chris

This link will provide some insight as to the recommended requirements for a cooler. (I have no affilliation with this company)

https://www.arc-zone.com/pdf/Maximizing_Water-Cooled_TIG_Performance.pdf

From what I have researched, a flow of 1 liter/minute is adequate for most torches. The pressure required to obtain that flow is dependent on the systems pressure drop (resistance to flow) which will vary with hose diameter and length, torch flow characteristics, and cooling system parameters.

Chris
Chris - thanks so much. I have been madly gathering all I can find on this, and the contributions have been excellent!
I have downloaded the pdf. It's going to drive some decisions.

For a look at exploring just how low you can go, ex Navy man Justin (the Fabricator) tried to max out 20-series torch using a bucket of water and a $12 fish pump! I cannot ever see myself feeding filler onto aluminium for 12minutes 41 seconds. One of the best moments was a suicidal fly that seemed to have no problem being a spectator casually strolling around about an inch from the weld (6:22).

OK - I get from this that you are discovering the pressure by seeing how high it can push the water upwards.
I thought 1 atmosphere (nearly 1 bar) was worth about 32ft.

Operating the pump with a bypass with a needle valve in it does let you adjust the pressure, but of course, the pump is maxed out all the time.

I actually hold the output hose almost horizontal rather than vertical...no sense in getting wet! Imagine just rinsing off the driveway with a hose....the cooler should put a stream out 10-15 depending upon on exactly how you hold it.

You're right about the pressure adjustment....the pump is always at the same RPM, so it's simply a matter of adding some restriction with the needle valve to raise the pressure. Luckily, the pumps seem to be incredibly reliable and robust so they don't fail very often. It's actually far more common to have the radiator develop leaks than have the pump fail from what I've seen (mostly with improper coolant use).

I just got a Dynaflux TigR cooler. It has a 2 gallon tank, uses the usual Procon pump and the flow rate is .8 gpm @ 50 psi. Rated for up to 250A. I use it to cool a 20 series torch. Works extremely well. Ran some test beads at 125A, and immediately after stopping you literally can touch the torch head bare handed and feel nothing until you reach the pyrex nozzle. Don't see myself going back to an air cooled torch again.

I bought a Procon pump and hooked it up to a 120 vac motor and use an old 5 gal carboy for the water. It's not optimum but it is self contained and works well for what I do. I think if I did a lot of big stuff I would need to add a little radiator, I think a heater core and a muffin can would do the trick.

Tim

Back