Three Phase VFD for SB13 1HP 3 phase motor?

WelderJosh

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased a south bend 13 with a 1HP three phase motor:3613A8F6-68C6-4247-B173-EAD40E85A644.jpeg

I have only single phase power at my place. Another thread on this forum suggested they were using a Hitachi Drives WJ200-022SF (single phase) for a similar situation, but don’t I need a three phase VFD? I was going to buy the WJ200-015LF which is single phase to three phase, and a 2hp model, in case someday I upgrade the motor.

You want the WJ200-015SF NOT the LF. The WJ200 "SF" models are single phase input and the output is 3 phase. the "LF" is 3 phase input and 3 phase output. Some 3 phase input VFD's can be run on single phase, but they need to be oversized by a factor of typically 2, and also depends on if it is running constant torques for machines or variable torque for pumps. So there are various VFD ratings and you need to look at the output current for the particular application. There are also different variants of the same VFD model, so the WJ200-022SF-CP which is a fanless model must use a separate cooling system like a circulating radiator to dissipate it heat. The VFD also is not a plug and play device in that you cannot use high voltage switch controls between the VFD and the motor. The operation is through low voltage input control wires, and a speed pot.

Awesome, thank you. I think I have the wiring diagram worked out. Was considering a 10k pot...

I would use a 2 or 5K speed pot. Not any significant current, but I usually use a 0.5-2W linear either single turn or 3 turn. The cheaper pots tend to bounce their contacts and the resistance does not stay stable, so I recommend a decent quality pot with either a plastic or wire wound resistance element. I find the carbon resistance type wear quickly and resistance can bounce with vibration. The ETI are rated for millions of turns, carbon track types may be 5,000 turns.

1 Turn

3 Turn

Thank you, I was able to source the recommended item from Mouser. Everything should be here this week so I'm excited to fire this sucker up!

Back