Threading On A Steady Rest Away From The Chuck

Haven’t tried grinding my own bits yet, just sharpening existing grinds. Recently upgraded to carbide inserts for some stuff and i do have threading inserts now. Just haven’t tried them. Also need to get the qctp set up as I think the lantern tool post I always used may be a limiting factor.

Yes, keep trying some different set ups until you get the one that works best for you and your machine. As this forum proves daily, there are many ways to accomplish the same task. Constant learning and improving. I don't think any of us ever truly master anything.

I have a lantern tool post and use it at times. It will sometimes get into tight places that other tool posts can't get into. I also have a 4 way. It is the least used of my tool posts. Not because I don't like it but because my Norman QCTP is easier to use. And my go to tool post is my Norman. I love it. It was easy but time consuming to make. Making it was my first big project. So that contributed to the time it took me to make it. It can be made with a lathe and a drill. No need for a mill. If funds are tight and you need experience making stuff on your lathe, make a Norman. Lots of people on the forum have made them. It will be a fraction of the cost of even the least expensive commercial QCTPs.

Back