Threading die vertical handle?

Inferno

Registered
Registered
I have no idea how to word this.
I need to chase some threads on a stud to clean them up after sitting in the rain for a year. They're not actually rusted but a nut won't run smooth on them.
They're a size that's not mainstream so I bought the die I needed. The problem is the typical die holders have a very wide span and, without removing the studs (Seriously locked into the aluminum manifold) I only have a couple of inches to work with.

Is there a tool that holds a threading die vertically?
I think, either way, I will end up making one.

Bummer, would be easy with hex. I suppose you could make something on a lathe....

John

Working in automotive much of my life off & on, I don't use thread dies to clean an existing stud or bolt. I use thread chasers/restorers. Dies are generally for cutting new threads. Thread restorers can "re-form" a damaged thread where a thread cutting die would just cut the damaged areas off.

But in this case, I have a well used set like this, they of course can be used with a normal ratchet socket. These sets don't cost much, made in the USA, & rebranded by various companies including the tool trucks. If you don't want to buy an entire set (which I recommend anyone to have) you can buy the individual size(s) that you need.

KAS972__13164.jpg

Tailstock die holder will work great as stated above . :encourage: The one pictured above has a solid shaft so not so good on a long stud .

Grip it with a pair of slip pliers / channel locks

Tailstock die holder will work great as stated above . :encourage: The one pictured above has a solid shaft so not so good on a long stud .
I'm assuming the "solid shaft" a separate part so the die holder is a slip fit. The OP simply uses the die holder (without the solid shaft in place).

Back