Threading chart for 13 lathe

JMBrewer

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm restoring a 13in lathe with the dual tumblers and the threading chart (red with black background) is about to the point you can't read it. Does anyone know a good source for replacement or reproduction? I've seen one website that sells some on anodized aluminum that look nice but look like reprouctions of a newer version. The card I got from Grizzly dated this lathe to 1958 and has the older logo.

Is it possible to repaint it with some small brushes? Maybe too much work? I've never done one

also, if you have raised lettering it's easy to remove the paint on the letters soon after freshly painted.
you can attach wet dry sand paper (fine) to a plate of glass or granite plate
spray mineral spirits or whatever solvent for the paint, and rub the threading plate on the sandpaper .. the action of the solvent and paper should remove the high spots. At least thats what I saw in a video years ago. I need to try it myself. The paint should be no more than a day or so old.

Seems like if one was careful most of the excess unwanted paint could be removed while still wet-
Probably would take some experimenting- I'm always up for a good experiment- sometimes they even succeed
:)

Seems like if one was careful most of the excess unwanted paint could be removed while still wet-
Probably would take some experimenting- I'm always up for a good experiment- sometimes they even succeed
:)
yes, that works, but I was never good at staying in the lines. My penmanship sucks.
I did paint the lathe,surface grinder, and mill that way, just cleaned off any areas that shouldn't get paint with a MS soaked rag, or q tip.
But the plate is too fine for me. I don't do fine with a paint brush very well.

You can also use an xacto knife to remove paint from the raised letters.

They have paint pens, looks and works like a sharpie

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Ok, that will help get in those very fine numbers.... But not for me. These plates are too fine.

What about taking it to a place that does silk screening?
I don't know if it will work or what the setup costs would be but they should be able to do multiple colors.

@DeadGuyAle posted about paint pens (edit: Lacquer Stick) and used a lacquer for his thread dial. (I need to learn how to quote or link posts from other threads). Here’s his photo
IMG_3039.jpeg

You could give the make and model of the lathe. Someone who has the same lathe could take a picture of their plate. Then you take the picture to a printing shop and have them print it on plastic to scale. Just a thought …….

Back