Threading at 400 RPM

Jim,
You are the man!!!

I am so happy I saw/found this while searching the reverse idler. I am deciding on a rotary table or dividing head so I can make the gears for the idler mod. Of course I really just want one anyway. Thanks for sharing all of your mods. Actually, the video of your shop I saw right before I bought the G0602 helped me make up my mind on the purchase about a year or so ago. Now to order the magazines. I just bought the vfd with the three phase motor and tach, maybe I will have time this winter to play and get it all fabricated and installed. Hopefully not adding too much to the scrap pile in the process, I am still very new to this, but have fun every time I need a part so I can play with the machines.

George

Jim,
You are the man!!!

I am so happy I saw/found this while searching the reverse idler. I am deciding on a rotary table or dividing head so I can make the gears for the idler mod. Of course I really just want one anyway. Thanks for sharing all of your mods. Actually, the video of your shop I saw right before I bought the G0602 helped me make up my mind on the purchase about a year or so ago. Now to order the magazines. I just bought the vfd with the three phase motor and tach, maybe I will have time this winter to play and get it all fabricated and installed. Hopefully not adding too much to the scrap pile in the process, I am still very new to this, but have fun every time I need a part so I can play with the machines.

George
Hello George, welcome to the G0602 world. You have selected a really nice piece of equipment to learn with. The G0602 takes kindly to a long list of improvements. It is an easy piece of equipment to work on, most surfaces are flat and not round or curved. There are many articles and a long list of modifications, you could spent the next five years just making basic improvements. This is a type of self perpetuating hobby. If you have any questions when you get into the threading clutch do not hesitate to drop me a line.

Jim

Thanks,
I may have to take you up on that at some point. If I am lucky I will be able to get started on the variable speed in the next few months. I do love the machine and have made quite a few one off parts to use on other projects. Mainly bushings and rollers, a few knobs. It is fun trying my best to hold tight tolerances. I still don't have the darn Machinist handbook but will. One thing I have learned so far is this is an expensive hobby, but it has saved me plenty of money so far on parts I would have bought. It was also fun making them. It is simply amazing how fast you wonder how you ever got along without a lathe. Just got a small mill and once I have time to set it up properly I am sure I will feel the same about that. See there lies my problem. Haven't done anything with the mill yet and looking for a rotary table. I have a sickness, haha.

George

Very good job, Congratulations Jim!!

I have the HF 8 x12 and would like to get your device working on it. It will probably take a while... :( first I need to start from your article and modify it for my lathe.

Best regards,

kreutz

Hello Kreutz, I believe you will find this to be an interesting and rewarding project. The basic unit is small enough that it is adaptable to a wide variety of lathes. Let me know if I can help.

Jim

Thank you!! Jim. It will probably take a while, I have found that starting a project and stopping in the middle, for whatever cause, will eventually lead to an unfinished project, so I will wait until my next vacation.

Best regards,

kreutz

Just found this, apparently the magazine issues with these plans are no longer available. Are the plans / article available elsewhere?

-Denzil

My P&W has a feed screw reversing lever also, but i was told by a P&W guy not to flip it on above 200 rpm, and i have never gone against his advice!
Makes threading soo much easier. Threading on my clausing 5900 series was painful, but i still am a newb at it)
I had a 5900 Clausing and found threading a breeze, until one of the 2 pins that operate the half nuts broke off when I went to stop it at a shoulder, fortunately I always kept one hand on the half nut lever and the other on the spindle clutch/brake lever. It broke the insert and rotated the toolpost but didn't ruin the Nitronic 60 stainless propellor shaft that I was making, it was the thread at the end of the taper.

If I were a one armed machinist there would have been trouble (-:

The plans were in the January and march HSM magazines. Part 2 is available from the publisher, but you really need part 1 to do the project. I do not know of the plans being published anywhere else on the internet. It is aggravating in this day of electronic media that you cannot buy a back issue. You might try your library. Their periodical department might be able to borrow a copy, which you can then copy to build the clutch. I love mine.

The first issue is available on Ebay for about $12

Last edited:
Just found this, apparently the magazine issues with these plans are no longer available. Are the plans / article available elsewhere?

-Denzil
Hello Denzil, I don't follow the threads on this site anymore so I just received a note that said you were looking for the plans for the dog clutch. I will be happy to email them to you, there are several very large files so they will have to go to a drop box. Send me your email address to jim@rjschroeder.com.

Jim

Back