Threading A Rifle Barrel

If the barrel is not long enough to catch a spider, make a bushing to fit the barrel from delrin that fits the spindle bore snug.

turn it between centers and avoid all the extra work making/modifying stuff.

That could work to hold the breech but how would I hold the muzzle with out damaging the crown?

That could work to hold the breech but how would I hold the muzzle with out damaging the crown?

Crown saver. Grizzly carries them, I'm sure many others or spin your own from brass perhaps.

If it were mine I would use the 4 jaw and outboard spider since I have it. Align it using a range rod and DTI then cut the thread.
Dave

If you don't have a live center Brownells sells tapered brass cups called "crown saver lathe center covers" that fit between your center and the muzzle. I've never used them, I don't put a lot of pressure on the barrel with a live center as it is.

Good info, never heard of a "Crown Saver". Will make or buy one. Like I said this is a scrap barrel that I'm learning on.
I'll get back to it after I repair the compressor that came in today.

If you plan on doing a lot of this type of stuff and have some time on your hands and can find a large bearing for a decent price:

steady002.jpg

steady003.jpg

Shown without the covers of course and sealed bearings are best (if you can get one big enough). The bearing must be held on the exact spindle center line. It rests in slots and I have set screws in each slot that I used to shift the bearing while I trammed it in back when I built it. It's held a lot of barrels for turning and threading.

Back