Threading a Remington 700 barrel to fit a small ring mauser

Is the freebore the depth of the rifling (outer diameter), or is it flush with the rifling itself (inner diameter)?

joe

The freebore OD is larger than the depth of the rifling OD. Doing a quick search I found the freebore OD should be at least .025 larger than the depth of the rifling OD. I have no experience with this and am just relaying what I found online. Lots of theories on how long the freebore should be and how far the bullet should have to jump to reach the rifling.

It would help us to understand clearances and terms if we refer to a reamer print. For example:
Freebore is at the start of the bore where rifling is removed by the reamer. This allows the bullet to 'slip' into the bore without resistance when chambering a round. Freebore diameter is usually only a few tenths larger than bullet diameter. The length of freebore can vary from zero to whatever suits the shooter.
An OD that is .025'' larger than the bore would be the part of the chamber where the cartridge neck goes. It is part of the chamber and is not called freebore.

Its certainly possible, its going to be difficult to indicate the chamber end so it runs true, assuming that it ran true to begin with. I would spend over $30 for a Remington take off.

Back