Threaded screw cutter

slow-poke

Registered
Registered
I have an older set of wire strippers that I picked up of the Snap-On truck back in the 70's. There not great for wire stripping however the threaded screw cutter is really handy. However fairly limited selection for screws, no M3 which is what I need right now.

Suggestions for a similar quality (but not too expensive) tool that would cut m3's?

AND what tools to avoid?
IMG_0203.JPG

Do you have a metal cutting band-saw, or chop-saw or angle grinder?

What I did was to get a cut off of steel angle, drill thru one face with a number of different tap drills and then thread the holes and even mark the sizes with number punches.
It lives near my vertical band-saw. When I need to shorten a thread, I mark it, thread it thru the angle to the the mark, and cut it at the bandsaw.
Unscrewing thru the tapped hole helps push the burr from the cut off the end of the thread and a quick stop at the bench grinder removes it.
It takes only a minute.

Sure you could make something similar and harden it, but mine has been in use for years now.

Also, you can use the other leg of the angle for metric.

Brian

Similar to @brino 's idea. Drill and thread a piece of steel big enough to hold on to, with threads of several sizes. I used a piece of 1/2" x 3/4" x 4" cold rolled steel. Then I screw in the screws which poke out and grind them flush on a belt grinder. Pretty easy to get close enough without hurting the carrier, and enough size to hold on to. Sort of a variant idea.

If I recall correctly, there is a special screw holder for the lathe that you can use to shorten screws more accurately, however, I can't recall the name. Maybe someone remembers the search term. I have seen it shown on HM.

If I recall correctly, there is a special screw holder for the lathe that you can use to shorten screws more accurately, however, I can't recall the name. Maybe someone remembers the search term. I have seen it shown on HM.

You probably mean a "lantern chuck".
There are a couple great versions shown here:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/lantern-chuck.76853/
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/brass-tipped-screws-how-are-they-made.95421/post-887851
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/quick-and-easy-lantern-chuck.92478/

There is still one more fantastic reference here somewhere, I just cannot currently locate it.
Will keep trying......

Brian

But for very quick and dirty, drill and tap some 1/8" steel and grind them off. The M3 screws will grind off in no time! And you can do several at once.

Can you drill and tap a your own M3 hole in the frame?

Can you drill and tap a your own M3 hole in the frame?

I have no issue drilling, tapping etc, this is a pure connivence issue, it takes but a few seconds to nip off a screw at the desired length with these pliers. No grinder, sander, goggles etc. required.

Be careful with those screw-cutting pliers- you can chop your flesh badly if you accidentally get a finger caught while you are using them
Always wear gloves, don't use them bare-handed

I have thought about making my own screw shear for larger sizes (1/4" through 1/2") based on the multi-tool design using a couple of pieces of carbon steel, drilled, tapped, hardened, and tempered. It would be fairly easy to make. Making one for an M3 screw would be simple.

Back