Thoughts on this Kurt vise?

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I occasionally have a need to clamp something longer on my mill. I'm thinking another vise would be nice. I have a 5" Kurt on it now which serves me well. I saw this on Epay. It's the same one I currently have, so they would kinda match:

vise 1.PNG

Is is advisable to machine down the top surfaces of the jaws so they look nice? Looks like this one would need about 0.060" or so taken off. I realize that when real machinists buy two vises they get them ground so they are the same height at the bottom where the jaws slide, but I think that will not be critical for me.

The price ($275+$40 for shipping) seems high for a vise with no jaws (easy to make, but still...) and chewed up top surfaces, but I could pick it up as I'm within 50 miles of the seller. I would also offer a lot less.

Or, should I pass on this one and make do with one vise?

Thoughts?

I occasionally have a need to clamp something longer on my mill. I'm thinking another vise would be nice. I have a 5" Kurt on it now which serves me well. I saw this on Epay. It's the same one I currently have, so they would kinda match:

View attachment 476685

Is is advisable to machine down the top surfaces of the jaws so they look nice? Looks like this one would need about 0.060" or so taken off. I realize that when real machinists buy two vises they get them ground so they are the same height at the bottom where the jaws slide, but I think that will not be critical for me.

The price ($275+$40 for shipping) seems high for a vise with no jaws (easy to make, but still...) and chewed up top surfaces, but I could pick it up as I'm within 50 miles of the seller. I would also offer a lot less.

Thoughts?

I would pass on that one. It is in rough shape and there are no hard jaws. Be patient. Something way better will show up for less.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Yeah, they look rough, but I thought I could talk them down on the price and then machine those surfaces to look nice. Are they hardened?

Are there 5" scratch and dents? A 6" is too big.

Yeah, they look rough, but I thought I could talk them down on the price and then machine those surfaces to look nice. Are they hardened?

Are there 5" scratch and dents? A 6" is too big.
Only see 4” and 6”… but nothing in the scratch and dent section at this time. Also found, after buying mine (6”) that their scratch and dent prices are higher, sometimes, than buying them new from a distributor…

It's hard to know if they are still accurate, but just chewed up, or if they are no longer accurate and have been abused. If they slide evenly and have a stationary jaw that is still set in place, they might be okay. That said, I'm going to pass at those prices. The sellers are offering 10% discounts, but shipping on one is over $100.

View attachment 476685

Thoughts?
I see a missing screw on the back jaw underneath... to me that probably means it was stripped out, or broke out. I doesn't mean it is, but that is not in good shape, and one in good shape can be had for under 300.

Back