Thoughts on this Emco lathe?

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
This is for sale in my general area:
emco 10 lathe 2 CL.jpgemco 10 lathe 3 CL.jpgemco 10 lathe CL.jpg
Very nice Emco (not enco) Maximat 10 lathe. The lathe runs great and everything works. It is set up with a Genesis VFD to run the lesson 3phase motor on single phase 220. Also has a quick change tool post and comes with a 4 jaw chuck, faceplate, live centers, drill chuck and some other tooling.

I could not find any reference to a Maximat 10, but did find a Compact 10 and a MaximatV10 and V10P. The pictures are too blurry to see any writing. Seller is asking $2200. Thoughts? I'd like a power cross feed. If this is actually a V10P then it has one.

that's a pretty decent price, seems like it's in good condition and has some tooling. They're pretty well regarded from what I've read, only quirks are the 2 speed motors (some models) and a fibre/resin gear in the gear train that can disintegrate.

If you have the cash I'd go buy it now.

You cannot tell from these pics which model that is. As you said, the V10-P has a power cross feed and the V10 does not. Otherwise the lathes are identical. Power cross feed is overrated in my opinion. This lathe has a carriage stop and thread dial indicator. It also has a separate saddle drive shaft, which is a plus on a lathe of this size.

Keep in mind that this was the best lathe Emco made before they stepped up to the Super 11 so it is a very good lathe. As for price, I think $2200 is a bit high; $1800 is more in line with its age but if it is in good shape and there is little to no wear on the bed then $2K or so is fair.

If I were you, I’d pass on that lathe so that this guy from California can come get it!!!!
Either model is a screaming deal for the money

This is a V10p or better yet, a Mentor. The electrical switches on the front of the cabinet are nice, as they did away with the earlier, problematic pushbutton ones. Serial number on the end of the bed will tell you the year of manufacture.

These are terrific lathes but the achilles heal(s) are the micarta headstock gears and zamak-metal shift forks. The forks are available aftermarket or can be fabricated at home. Same with the big gears but why go through the hassle unless the price is right?

I have a V10p with milling head in my in-home workshop in a back room.

Last edited:
I was just looking at that one too, but I have a Compact 8 I'm working on:<)

Those are very good machines Price is very good Parts are going to be expensive if the situation arises. If the lathe size fits your intended use I would grab it

There was a beautiful 11” Emco for sale in a local auction last week, the tools there were immaculate to a degree i didnt understand because of having missed the preview window days. It sold for $6500! I didnt win anything but 2 parts drawres for $20. I was envious during picking up my “winnings”. I had bid over a thousand dollars of various items. Im still twitching over what WAS there.

Last edited:
Back