Thoughts on giong the Collet route...

ER collets will hold an endmill much tighter than any draw bar type collet made like R8, 5c, 3c, 3at. I have never had a bit pull out of an ER collet and I use them in rotery transfer machines and screw machines for production.

Thanks for the ER info... I'm curious about them. I get along fine with individual endmill holders and R8 collets and drill chucks but sometimes wonder if going to ER could save a little time reaching-up for the drawbar. I do my best to plan-out my ops to minimize drawbar time but, you know how that goes sometimes...

I'm wondering about the profile/diameter of the holder and if it's a good match for the tight spaces on the mill bed. The thought also occurs to me that an ER adapted to the tailstock RAM on the lathe could be useful.

Not ready to make a move on this, just thinking it over...

Ray

Hey df-

I also use Morse #2 draw collets in my Atlas 618. That is the actual spindle bore.

I fashioned a drawbar from a long 3/8in bolt (if I remember correctly) and turned a piece of delrin to center the left end of the spindle and retrofitted a handle. I can show a pic if you like.

The capacity is 1/2 inch, with the one drawback that you can't fit work through the spindle with out a hollow drawbar. But nice not to have to work with a chuck.

I use 5C in my SB Heavy and Hardinge Mill.

Bernie

Back