Thoughts On Buying 13x36 Clausing-colchester

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Found a 13x36 Clausing Colchester lathe locally. Asking price is $1300.
From the ad:
Clausing Colchester 13x36 Gearhead engine lathe
It has a 6" 3 jaw chuck, Collet Closer, Square indexable Toolpost and 6" Faceplate.
Live center and Drill Chuck
L-0 Spindle Nose, #3 morse taper in the tailstock, and 1.53" thru the spindle.
3 hp single phase motor with reversing switch. Just plug it into a 220v dryer outlet.

Hardened ways look good, and only about .003" backlash in the cross slide leadscrew.
Made in England.

The one issue it has is the power feed will advance to a point, then will need to be advanced
by hand a short distance until it catches and resumes power feed.

Come by and see it run, and I can load on a utility trailer.

Seller said it has a taper attachment, drill chuck, centers, and some cutting bits. He said the original 3phase motor has been replaced with a single phase 220, I believe 3 horse motor.

I'm wondering if this is a deal, or dud. What should I look and ask for? What should I be careful of?

I'd be over there in a heart beat. You'll probably need to do some work on the apron (sounds like a gear has a tooth missing). That is a pretty common lathe, you should not have trouble getting support for the repair (though if it is a gear, you'll need to make it, buy one etc).

Those are very nice lathes, and it appears to be well tooled. Probably a gear missing a tooth or two. That can be repaired, or a replacement found. Look it over carefully for other issues. Now that is a gunsmith's lathe! The price is excellent, judging without seeing it...

Thats the photo from the ad. is the hand wheel on the apron on the wrong side? Seems different photos on the web show it on various sides.

what about getting a larger 3 jaw and 4 jaw chuck? How hard is it going t be to find parts?

and what about a splash shield on the back? What else is or may be missing?

Nice looking lathe. Parts should be available on eBay or maybe from atlas-Clausing? But it looks pretty complete other than possibly a threading dial or maybe I just can't see it? And there should be handles on the compound knob too I think. You can make em, if you get it

Back