"Thoughts on a Lathe- the sequel" or How HM is influencing my life, in a good way..

Eddyde

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Yesterday, after reading the "Thoughts on a Lathe" thread, I figured I would check Craigslist for lathes, even though I'm foremost in the market for a mill. As fate would have it, the first listing was a sweet deal, a 10" x 3 ½' South Bend, Tool Room Lathe, with a nice lot of tooling for a mere $800...and only 32 miles from my second/retirement home, where I am setting up my "dream shop"... What's more. the guy offered free delivery, within 20mi. However, A phone call seemed to confirm my fears. The guy had a dozen responses in the day he had the ad posted and there was someone supposedly coming the next day with a truck to take it. I was about to give him the "well if it doesn't happen" line when he cut me off and said "The first person to give me cash gets it" I asked him if I could come that the evening "yes" Is the 12 extra miles for the delivery a problem? "no, just throw me a couple of bucks or fuel" Okay I said, how about $850 then? "No $840 is fine" Um.. I'll see you in a few hours... Only problem, it was a 120 mile drive and I didn't "clear the operation" aka "cancel Saturday night plans with my live-in girlfriend".... What a gal, she was totally cool with it "Sounds like a great deal hon, don't worry about the dog i'll walk him for you" I will now call her "wife to be"...
The lathe checked out, all controls moved smoothly and it ran nice and quite, the ways look like they are worn evenly and it was throughly covered in grease and oil.
Today couldn't have been worse for the delivery, as it was freezing rain all day with treacherous driving conditions. I really thought the guy would want to cancel and I wouldn't have minded if he did, but he came through. It took about an hour for 4 of us to wrestle the lathe off the trailer, down the steps, into the basement, where it will remain forever as far as I am concerned.
IMG_7396.jpgIMG_7391.jpg

IMG_7396.jpg IMG_7391.jpg

Congratulations!!!:thumbzup3: Looks like you ran into a very nice seller. Enjoy the lathe.

Nice score. I'm glad I didn't see it first. I would be using the phrase "Wife.. used to be".

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Good score, that steady rest looks huge :))

I see you already have a piece of brass chucked up to try it out, have fun.

Thanks guys,
The Irony is, I just had moved my 1st lathe up there 5 days earlier! A 9" South Bend, bench model with change gears (You can see it to the right). I had that lathe since 1984, So I was long time over due for an upgrade. Now I have all the modern conveniences, quick change gearbox, power cross feed and a treading indicator :)

That was meant to be ....Nice improvement and it never hurts to have a secondary lathe .....

That was meant to be ....Nice improvement and it never hurts to have a secondary lathe .....

Does that make four lathes even better?
Or, just silly?

Daryl
MN

Does that make four lathes even better?
Or, just silly?

Daryl
MN

I have three ....2 of them are atlas 6x18's one is set up as a small mill....but it's seldom used
I might sell off the small ones when I bring the bridgeport home....Nothing silly about four though, at least not in my mind's eye

Back