Thornton mechanical lab surface grinder

Right on! No point in investigating the problem when you've already decided on a solution. :bang head:

There is no visible run out.
Once run out is established.....then what? The motor only has a little run time. Maybe a few dozen hours over the years. What is accomplished by further diagnosis of a **** motor? How about I put it on a grinder and put a nicer motor on my surface grinder? How is that not a solution?

Kenny Rogers said it was important to know when to polish that turd, know when to bin it, something like that. There's nothing wrong with committing to buy a quality motor when you know you've got a moist fresh one in your hands. A good 1-hp Baldor will run at a smooth whisper for sure, without breaking the bank. I think that's a fair plan, even if it skips some of the empirical steps of formal troubleshooting. That's a liberty reserved for a man who owns his own shop.

Not challenging his liberty. Liberty is one of my favorite words.

However, it's my experience that debilitating problems sometimes have simple and inexpensive solutions.

If it were my motor, I would want to understand exactly why the motor "vibrates". A description of the investigation and the findings (and potential fix) could well provide some useful information for readers.

I expect most members know how to buy a new motor. Different strokes . . . YMMV

I hear you, it's amazing the number of batteries, starters, and alternators get replaced due to a weak ground connection. But in @Batmanacw's defense, those 1hp Chicago Electric motors are solidly built from grade-A turd drippings that no amount of polish can help. They were sold as cheap solutions, not long-term. They are best used for keeping your rowboat in the middle of the lake while you're casting for the banks.

Not challenging his liberty. Liberty is one of my favorite words.

However, it's my experience that debilitating problems sometimes have simple and inexpensive solutions.

If it were my motor, I would want to understand exactly why the motor "vibrates". A description of the investigation and the findings (and potential fix) could well provide some useful information for readers.

I expect most members know how to buy a new motor. Different strokes . . . YMMV
I don't have the equipment or time to rebalance the motor. I have changed bearings in an electric motor before but this motor wasn't very smooth out of the box. In a couple months I'll purchase a nicer motor and the problem will be fixed, hopefully helping the finish as well.

Back