Thoriated vs Lanthanated Tungsten

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm a tungsten dipper, I can't help it, I just am.

Anyway, I've been using 3/32 2% lanthanated tungsten since I got my Alpha-TIG a few years ago. I've been welding some 304 and 316 tube recently, and as usual, it's a few dips in the pool and off to the grinder (again). I've almost given up sharpening both ends because I can rarely get the bad end into the collet. For obvious reasons, my tungsten was getting kind of short, so I decided to try a thoriated tungsten from a full pack I had inherited. I very quickly noticed that it tolerated dipping much better, keeping a useful point and picking up less metal from the puddle. More time welding, less grinding, longer tungsten life.

Has anyone else noticed this, or do the rest of you just stay out of the pool?

I don't even know what I have, the welding store said here use this, and I grind constantly too. :(

I'm not fond of radioactive alpha emitters myself so use the blue lanthanated tungsten for TIG welding.

I'm not a fan of swimming so I tend to hang out at the snack bar instead. :D

Oh sorry, welding right. I'm a dipper too and use 2% lanthanated exclusively.

I always used thoriated tungsten, welded a lot of 303 and 304 tungsten, kept a small bench grinder right close, did not have to get up to regrind, and usually kept several at the ready.

For DC, I'm not picky. Temperature range is a consideration for lanthanated, that stuff works better on thinner work. Thoriated and ceriated work best with my archaic Miller Dialarc HF because the arc start isn't as smooth as the new, electronic transformer welders.

As for dipping, I quit years ago. Wife couldn't stand all the cups and bottles left about. Just kidding, I never chewed tobacco.

Thoriated tungsten has a higher melt temp, which is why it's more "resistant" to dipping. The metals that stick to the electrode will quickly oxidize and migrate to the tip, degrading arc performance. The best solution is not to dip. Do they make training wheels for a tig torch?

The best solution is not to dip. Do they make training wheels for a tig torch?
Agreed, and if I had a choice...

I have to keep removing the training wheels to get into those tight spots, even a #5 cup is too big.

I got a lightly used Syncrowave 250, I added a water cooler, and I got the stick leads. Too bad the machines capability is limited to my inability :( Just when I start making some progress in tapping the top of my head, rubbing my tummy, chewing gum, and walking, I get too busy to keep up.

Back