This thing really SUCKS!!!

Gadget

Active User
Registered
I threw this together over the last couple of days. No plans, I just saw others on Youtube and made one that I though should work. I cleaned the filter and tank on my shop vac and hooked this up to it. I spent the day cleaning the garage and especially all the sawdust accumulated in my radial saw stand. After all the cleaning I looked at the vacuum tank, completely empty. No dust, nothing. The cyclone thing worked perfectly, all the dust and debris was in the 5 gallon pail.
I welded some of the aluminum parts with my Longevity 200PI but the welds are not visible from the outside. I used alumalloy to "weld" the sheet aluminum. All I need to do now is make a cart that will hold the vacuum and the cyclone separator.

DanGEDC0028.JPGGEDC0029.JPG

GEDC0028.JPG GEDC0029.JPG

LOL So it really sucks in a good way!
Had me wondering with the title.

Correct me if wrong, used for sucking hydraulic and or oil junk in dozer belly pans.
What is "asperator" ya I found that also on Utube. sure saves the shop vac.

I need to make one of these to go on my sandblast cabinet before I trash my shopvac. What does the inside look like. Have read several good web pages on these but never tried to build one.

Jeff

I need to make one of these to go on my sandblast cabinet before I trash my shopvac. What does the inside look like. Have read several good web pages on these but never tried to build one.

Jeff

I used a 1.5" plastic drain about 5" long on the inside. It runs out the top hose. I also used 1.5" drain connectors for the inlet and outlet since they fit the large hose pretty close. The inside pipe runs down the center from the top, the theory is the debris coming in the side swirls around the funnel shape and will eventually fall to the bottom. The vacuum air is pulled out the center of the vortex where the debris cannot go due to centrifugal force.
I can make a parts list and drawing if there is any interest.

Correct me if wrong, used for sucking hydraulic and or oil junk in dozer belly pans.
What is "asperator" ya I found that also on Utube. sure saves the shop vac.

Nope, it's purely a dust collector ahead of the vacuum to keep the vacuum filter clean.

Drawings would be great. Anyone else build one of these yet?

Jeff

Drawings would be great. Anyone else build one of these yet?

Jeff

There's quite a few of them on Youtube. Do a search for cyclonic dust collector. I'll try to get some drawings and a parts list up in the next day or so.

Edit: I just did some checking online and found you can buy the cyclone for under $40.00 here http://www.oneida-air.com/inventory...&CatId={6EE79B16-EB63-43E7-8F30-1E06240A24A4} This is just the collector but all you need to add is a container and hoses.

Here's a link to a home built one in clear plastic so you can actually see the debris as it makes it's way through the chamber.
[video=youtube;l-ovtmTUhkg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-ovtmTUhkg[/video]

Back