Thinking about purchasing LMS 3536 bench lathe & stand

cazclocker

Purveyor of cheese.
Registered
I'm strongly considering getting one of the #3536 "Hi Torque 8.5" x 16" Bench Lathe" with the #3973 stand this November. Before I actually pull the trigger, I hope I can get some feedback on this machine from other owners. I'm basically a weekend warrior, not an experienced machinist but learning quick. It will be my 2nd lathe - my 1st is a Rivett watchmaker's lathe.
Mainly I'm just hoping to do some turning, screwcutting and wheelcutting (if this machine is able). How does this machine stack up?
Also, what about the stand LMS sells for this lathe? I want sturdy and rigid - will this stand fit the bill? Would I be happier with some other stand?
Thanks in advance.

I was considering that lathe, as at the time I had a Micro Mark 7x16 (stretch LMS 7x14) and realized it wasn't going to do what I needed it to do. When I asked Chris at LMS about the 8.5x16 I got a somewhat vague reply about it not being a significant upgrade unless I need the power cross-feed. So I continued to look and ended up spending a few hundred more and got the South Bend 8k from Grizzly. This is a significant upgrade from the 7x series, and weighs over 300 lbs with a 5" chuck and QC on it. Not quite as portable as my 7x, but still manageable by one person. And very accurate, right out of the crate.

I'm not sure what you need out of your next lathe, or what your budget is, but if the 8k is in your price range you might want to take a look at it.

I was considering that lathe, as at the time I had a Micro Mark 7x16 (stretch LMS 7x14) and realized it wasn't going to do what I needed it to do. When I asked Chris at LMS about the 8.5x16 I got a somewhat vague reply about it not being a significant upgrade unless I need the power cross-feed. So I continued to look and ended up spending a few hundred more and got the South Bend 8k from Grizzly. This is a significant upgrade from the 7x series, and weighs over 300 lbs with a 5" chuck and QC on it. Not quite as portable as my 7x, but still manageable by one person. And very accurate, right out of the crate.

I'm not sure what you need out of your next lathe, or what your budget is, but if the 8k is in your price range you might want to take a look at it.

Thanks - is THIS the one you got?
...Doug

I was going to suggest a larger machine than the LMS since you have already got one that is pretty close to it's capability already. The 9X series are affordable, but they are getting replaced in a lot of product lines with larger machines that are more rigid and offer more options. If it was at all possible I would wait a bit longer and get a larger machine as others have already mentioned. Are you planning to keep your old machine or is the new machine going to be an addition to the fleet? If it is an addition I would look for as large of a machine as you can afford and fit into your space. If it is replacing the smaller lathe then you might be better off not going as large as you can get at that point. You don't want to lose youre small part ability if you can avoid it.

Bob

I was going to suggest a larger machine than the LMS since you have already got one that is pretty close to it's capability already. The 9X series are affordable, but they are getting replaced in a lot of product lines with larger machines that are more rigid and offer more options. If it was at all possible I would wait a bit longer and get a larger machine as others have already mentioned. Are you planning to keep your old machine or is the new machine going to be an addition to the fleet? If it is an addition I would look for as large of a machine as you can afford and fit into your space. If it is replacing the smaller lathe then you might be better off not going as large as you can get at that point. You don't want to lose youre small part ability if you can avoid it.

Bob

Hello Bob. I plan to keep my little Rivett, and keep it for small applications. The 8"x18" South Bend mentioned by wrmiller is already a bit larger than I want, but I suppose it is probably higher quality than anything offered by LMS.
...Doug

Back