Thinking about making a new base for my grizzly g0762 mill

oogenshire

Registered
Registered
purchased my mill used from my dad a few months back, dads in a wheelchair so we built the base it is on for him. its way too short for me to use unless im sitting in a chair.
am a welder, have 3/16 plate was thinking about this

mill.jpgmill base.JPG

drawers built into the front top drawer for the indexer and tooling storage, the bottom will be a pullout tray for the coolant tank and pump... any other ideas

Looks like a good idea. Be sure and show us a progress report on how your build goes. We love pictures. May want to include some type of leveling feet in the design.

Looks like a good idea. Be sure and show us a progress report on how your build goes. We love pictures. May want to include some type of leveling feet in the design.
i was thinking about copying the levelers off my atlas lathe where the hold down bolt goes through the bushing and the outside of the bushing is threaded and the foot of the lathe is threaded, you tighten the bolt and adjust level by turning the bushing

I would increase the width. It will provide increased stability, increased storage space, and not appreciably affect the footprint.

I agree with Mr Sakowski, widen the front to the underside bends of the tray, i would go for 5/16 plate for the tray btw, nice and solid.

I agree with Mr Sakowski, widen the front to the underside bends of the tray, i would go for 5/16 plate for the tray btw, nice and solid.
i dont have any 5/16 laying around, but was thinking about using 3x6 heavy wall box tube as an internal frame for it... off top of head its 1/2 wall so it will be pretty solid when done, i like widening it out working on getting shop organized enough for a larger fab project in the floor lol

I have a G0761 on a factory stand and it is too short I raised mine up 6 inches and it is still a little short for a 6ft person. I would suggest putting it on blocks till you get it to a height you like before you build a new stand.

I have a G0761 on a factory stand and it is too short I raised mine up 6 inches and it is still a little short for a 6ft person. I would suggest putting it on blocks till you get it to a height you like before you build a new stand.
measuring it out its 11 inches from the bottom to the top of the table so 29" base will put it at 40 inches to the table top..

I am 6'3". That would still be WAY too short for me!

0513191750.jpg

With an ~9" lift over stock it is just about right. I wouldn't want to go any lower.

I move my machines around with a pallet jack.

Back