Thinking about Buying a Bridgeport Mill

Aaron,
was that lead screw one that might have been made with just off the shelf threaded bar, I say that because the half nut is supposed to wear out long before the lead screw

The power feed replacement can be easy, or it can be more difficult.

If the power feed was a Servo or other replacement for the regular hand feed, most any widely available unit that is modeled after the Servo will fit.

If it had a Bridgeport power feed, the lead screw is different, but can be adapted. If so, you will also need the end casting and bearing from the manual feed version, since this is where the Servo-style unit mounts.

Well, I bought it. He is throwing in some tooling plus I am buying a holddown set and collet set extra. The power feed is original Bridgeport. The motor is still there but the gearbox end is empty - robbed out. May need to find the original parts. But it will feed manually.

Well, I bought it. He is throwing in some tooling plus I am buying a holddown set and collet set extra. The power feed is original Bridgeport. The motor is still there but the gearbox end is empty - robbed out. May need to find the original parts. But it will feed manually.
The hard part of the Bridgeport factory power feeds is the circuit board that controls motor speed. They fail eventually, and were often discarded. There are people who can rebuild the circuit boards now, if you can find a core board for them to work with. The mechanical parts are more durable. I have one that has no board, but most internals are in good shape.

It also has a coolant pump. Wonder if the coolant pump and power feed motor are 3 phase?

Back