Things I Make And Cut On At Work

I found that when I was 15 and started working in a shop, everyone was idiots.....except me. Then after a few years they all got pretty smart.

And you're right. Our job here as experienced hands is to give back what we were given (except all the hard times). There's not enough of us left, IMO, so let's make the best of this place. It seems to be working pretty good, judging from some of the projects we are seeing, and realizing that these are people who haven't had the opportunity to work side by side 8-10-12 hours a day with old wise guys. They just have the desire and time to dedicate to learning. And the smarts to ask when they don't know something. I think it's great, myself.

And someday, Wreck....you're going to be one of the "7 other old guy machinists, all of which know everything". lol So hang in there. Everything I hear for our area leads me to believe we are picking back up and there will be a shortage of machinists. Hope that's true for your area too. I've already been offered another managerial position (50 man shop), but it's in Singapore. Pass. And several have called locally wanting me. Pass again. I have what I want in my own shop, just as soon as this broken leg heals enough to let me get back to a regular work schedule. This "taking it easy" is getting pretty old. I've re-written my QA manual, drafted all my hand sketches for my prototypes I am developing.....getting tired of sitting around.

Sorry for going OT

17-4 PH (AISI 630) is just about my all around favorite material, as stainless goes. I don't care so much for tapping tiny holes in it when it's already aged to H-900, but at H-1025 (most common in downhole tools) or H-1100, it's great stuff. And very strong. Doesn't cut quite as easy as 303, but infinitely better than 316 or 316L. Never cared for 304 all that much either. There are better materials for mechanical components. It's great for fabrication and ornamental work though. Those (304, 316, 316L) I can live without, even though there are much worse "stainless" materials out there.

Tony,
If I or anyone else I work with intentionally tried to hide defective parts we would be fired.

Kevin

Agreed, but it does happen. And unfortunately it doesn't all get caught. And I have terminated people for it more than once. Never the same people twice though. Those don't get rehired.

Back